Kit modding and cutting

Neova

For those who have cut their kits apart, what is the proper way to dissect a model and still retain the smooth OEM like edges? Did you use xacto, dremel, table saw, bandsaw or light sabre (kidding about the saws)? I know finish sanding and minor prep would be required before primer, painting and detailing.

I think I found a potential solution to make those perfect transforming Hasegawa Valkyries and would like to experiment but not waste my kits in the process. I will assess if 1 or 2 donor kits will be required but won't know until I try.

I will post my results here as soon as possible. Need to consider which kit to cut up first... YF-19 or VF-1...

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by Neova

This sounds like a really cool project, hope you experiment with a VF-1 first. I was thinking about doing a mod on a 1/72 Bandai with a Hasegawa but wasn't sure how well that would work. The resin kit to turn a Hasegawa into a transformable is way too expensive. The only other member I think that did a transformable Hasegawa is Jarrod. Perhaps someone else has his website cause there are a lot of pics of it on there. Good luck and keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...
For those who have cut their kits apart, what is the proper way to dissect a model and still retain the smooth OEM like edges? Did you use xacto, dremel, table saw, bandsaw or light sabre (kidding about the saws)? I know finish sanding and minor prep would be required before primer, painting and detailing.

I'm a big fan of the dremel saw blade. Smoothest cut you can get IMHO.