Mospeada: TREAD Squadron Markings

Totoro242

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to come up with a definitive answer to the question of what squadron numbers should be on the TREADs for an idea I am working on to possibly make an accurate sticker sheet for the Toynami TREAD toy.

Here are my theories. There is no exact science to this by any means, so your best guesses are welcome.

From the show, we really only see two TREADs, or three if you count the blue TREAD twice:

Blue = "21" in the first episode. This would be the TREAD that Stick is attached to at the beginning. His squadron is 21, so the TREAD would be "21". On a side note, I’ve always assumed that Stick’s Legioss was “21” during the entire series, but the idea that Stick happened to find another Legioss from the 21st doesn’t really make sense. Did they repaint “21” on the Legioss that Jim has? Do we even see the squadron markings in the show anyway? Are the markings only really seen on the toys and models? Does anyone have any insights into what the number on the Legioss should be?

Blue = "07" second TREAD. The group finds this one and uses it for the series. Box art and line art designates this TREAD as "07" squadron, though this is the same squadron designation as Ray's Legioss. Are they supposed to be from the same squadron? Was the “07” painted on by the team later?

Green = "21" in the first episode. I would assume that the green Legioss/TREADs from Stick's squadron would be from the 21st squadron. There is a "31" on Ray's Ride Armor and "07" on Ray's Legioss, though I don't think either of these designations would be accurate for a TREAD.

Shadow = no number designation as far as I know.

Red = not seen in the series. There is a "06" on Bartley's Ride Armor. There is a "2" on Bartley's Legioss, which is in a triangular Jupiter Base emblem on the left wing. Should the TREAD have this 2nd squadron on it?

I would love to hear everyone's insight into this.

Thanks!

Edited by Totoro242

...From the show, we really only see two TREADs, or three if you count the blue TREAD twice:

Blue = "21" in the first episode. This would be the TREAD that Stick is attached to at the beginning. His squadron is 21, so the TREAD would be "21". On a side note, I’ve always assumed that Stick’s Legioss was “21” during the entire series, but the idea that Stick happened to find another Legioss from the 21st doesn’t really make sense. Did they repaint “21” on the Legioss that Jim has? Do we even see the squadron markings in the show anyway? Are the markings only really seen on the toys and models? Does anyone have any insights into what the number on the Legioss should be?

I would love to hear everyone's insight into this.

Thanks!

I have no insight on this subject, but I had always kind of idly wondered about the numbering of Stick's Legioss. As I recall, we do see the "21" markings on Stick's Legioss(s) throughout the series, but sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not in the actual animation. I think that it can be rationalized in-story as the crew having painted Stick's numbers on the Legioss that Jim had been restoring/maintaining. Maybe a viewing of that particular episode where they meet Jim will show something... I think it was the third or episode but may be wrong there.

Hi Totoro242,

Interesting topic!!

Referring black and white line arts, this is what i've seen:

Tlead:

Numbers: "21", "07" and "Mars Base".

Also we can see "07 SQUADRON" in this Carl's sketch: Carl tlead line art.

Notice in the "reference" ( kanji translated by "Save") line art p.58 in Mosp artworks book, the number "13" on Tlead...

Legioss:

AFC-01H: "21", "MB" ( "Mars Base") and "162".

AFC-01I: "07", "MB" and "1821".

AFC-01Z: "2", "JB" ("Jupiter Base") and "633".

Ride Armor:

VR-052F: "21" and "MB" and "2101".

VR-052T: "21", "MB" and "2101".

(Strange to see 2 times same numbers...)

VR-041T: "10", "MB" and "1029"

VR-038L: "06", "JB" and "0641".

Hope it"ll help you.

akim.