Trying to get a job in Hong Kong

I know some of you live and work in HK. Anything I should know

I dont speak Chinese but im familiar with the city and southern China

If I have to Ill Crash course Chinese with my wife.

What are interview generally like?

Are they forgiving if you only speak English yet willing to learn Chinese.

Just want some tips

My Friend in HK sent me this link http://www.jobsdb.com/Hong_Kong/

She said right now the market is not to good a lot of friends of hers are looking and there is a lot of competition

Thanks

I know some of you live and work in HK. Anything I should know

I dont speak Chinese but im familiar with the city and southern China

If I have to Ill Crash course Chinese with my wife.

What are interview generally like?

Are they forgiving if you only speak English yet willing to learn Chinese.

Just want some tips

My Friend in HK sent me this link http://www.jobsdb.com/Hong_Kong/

She said right now the market is not to good a lot of friends of hers are looking and there is a lot of competition

Thanks

The economy here is really not good.

1. You need to get a working visa.

2. You need to get a top position in a big corporate if you don't speak and read chinese.

3. You can apply for a teaching post to teach english if your native language is english (but still you need to have the relevant qualification).

4. All the jobs in the government require you to past a language proficiendy test.

I do know a lot of expat in my church who work for big corporate here in Hong Kong. It'll be easier to get a job if you're a professional.

My only brush with working in China(Shanghai) was due to my company having offices and factories over there. I have some friends that ended up working in Shanghai pretty much permanently. He didn't know a lick of Chinese and only started to pick it up after working there for a couple of years. It was a management position, and he had local bi-lingual Chinese employees working under him. I think all the employees must know English as a general requirement to work in this company.

So, my advice would be that if you don't know Chinese it may be easier to try to get in with an American company that has a large office in Hong Kong. If you do well in a company you may get a shot at going if there is a need for someone to go there and you show interest. A company may be eager to transfer you because it's been my experience that most American employees would prefer not to work in China full time.

I'm not sure what your job skills are though. My advice may not be relevant for you. Maybe Graham can offer some more insight.

My only brush with working in China(Shanghai) was due to my company having offices and factories over there. I have some friends that ended up working in Shanghai pretty much permanently. He didn't know a lick of Chinese and only started to pick it up after working there for a couple of years. It was a management position, and he had local bi-lingual Chinese employees working under him. I think all the employees must know English as a general requirement to work in this company.

So, my advice would be that if you don't know Chinese it may be easier to try to get in with an American company that has a large office in Hong Kong. If you do well in a company you may get a shot at going if there is a need for someone to go there and you show interest. A company may be eager to transfer you because it's been my experience that most American employees would prefer not to work in China full time.

I'm not sure what your job skills are though. My advice may not be relevant for you. Maybe Graham can offer some more insight.

Thanks for the help guys. Im a Senior Project Coordinator with IBM but as a Contractor. On other projects I was the lead Project Manager. I have a BA in Political Science and I am certified with PMP I am applying for PC roles but I dont think I can get a Senior Management Position ie Exec. position. I might give Shanghai a try since my wife keeps telling me that is a good place to look.

Thanks