Question on the Super/Strike packs

KYQ

I actually think the Space-Shuttle/747 analogy was pretty good.

Yeah, but with one major difference.

The shuttle had wings, stabilators, and a tail. So it would at least provide some of it's own lift.

Now, if they added some wings or winglets to the Fast packs that could be jettisoned upon reaching space, then it might work.

Of course, that may even be a moot point since you would probably have to empty the packs fuel cells to escape gravity anyway, so you would probably end up jettisoning the whole shebang :rolleyes: .

Oh well, Kawamori sama never claimed to be an aeronautical engineer, but he sure does draw a neat plane!.

The packs aren't used to escape the atmosphere, it's those big freakin' mother boosters that it uses. I've never actually seen them in animation though, only in the Design Works lineart.

I'm also sure Kawamori never intended for their usage within the atmosphere, thus you always see VF-1's jetison their armor before heading down.

The packs aren't used to escape the atmosphere, it's those big freakin' mother boosters that it uses. I've never actually seen them in animation though, only in the Design Works lineart.

They were used in one episode.

The one where they were capturing hte factory satellite had VF-1s mounted on exit boosters.

i admit that with the fast pack the legs engine are not in line with the gravity center of the aircraft and it would be hard to fly it. Stabilisation would be impossible without firing the boosters. I am sure they will find a way to make it fly with fast pack in atmosphere...

i admit that with the fast pack the legs engine are not in line with the gravity center of the aircraft and it would be hard to fly it. Stabilisation would be impossible without firing the boosters. I am sure they will find a way to make it fly with fast pack in atmosphere...

Why would they WANT to, though? The FAST packs we all know and love were designed to address the valkyrie's deficiencies in space combat. In an atmosphere, it's already a very proficient vehicle and needs no augmentation.

I think it lacks some extra missiles as a simple plane. In space a Super VF is 10x the power of a regular VF. That's a good reason to WANT fast packs IMO.

OK - the armors on the legs contain stabilisation systems for space. Useless for atmospheric conditions. If you remove them, maybe stabilisation is better?

I don't believe fast packs are so bad aerodynamically and at least, a Super VF1 should be able to enter space with the armor parts + FP.

Edited by Göönk

in real world, do you really think planes could transform into robots? ;)

No, but Kawamori says they can, so for the sake of the story, I accept it.

Kawamori also says that FAST packs are for space only, so I accept that, too. Where does he say it? Well, first, it's strongly suggested by all the animation. Second, the entry for the VF-1 in the Compendium refers to the FAST pack system as a "FAST Pack space booster".

Granted, an advanced VTOL aircraft with unlimited energy (fusion engines) could in theory hover with unlimited range, pretty much regardless of its streamlining. But its speed would be limited. If it converted to to normal flight, it would run into aerodynamic problems, and all indications are that SOP is to jettison FAST packs when entering an atmosphere. Considering how much they probably cost to manufacture, I don't think that would be done without a good reason.

I don't believe fast packs are so bad aerodynamically and at least, a Super VF1 should be able to enter space with the armor parts + FP.

Again, if this is so, the "atmospheric-escape booster system" wouldn't be needed.

Probably, although the Valkyrie has unlimited energy, if it tried to hover into orbit it would reach a point where the atmosphere is so thin that it can't supply the reaction mass needed to supply a greater than 1:1 thrust:weight ratio, and the Valk's own internal stores of reaction mass can't make up for the deficiency.