Looking for a good Macross F DVD set

656delta

Does anyone know where I can find a good DVD collection of Macross F? It seems like they're all pirated knock-offs with crappy sub-titles. Even the ones sold in legit anime shops all suck. Where should I go. If I have to pay a little more it will be worth it, rather than trying to watch DVD's that don't work, can't be understood, etc.

Does anyone know where I can find a good DVD collection of Macross F? It seems like they're all pirated knock-offs with crappy sub-titles. Even the ones sold in legit anime shops all suck. Where should I go. If I have to pay a little more it will be worth it, rather than trying to watch DVD's that don't work, can't be understood, etc.

If you're looking for a good quality release with English subtitles, your search is doomed to failure. Hell, the entire series isn't even complete on DVD in Japan yet.

Hey guys, thanks for the insight. I don't have much time to log on with my work schedule, so I'm a little behind on the latest progress in the Macross products. I had no idea that the series wasn't out on DVD in Japan yet. That's actually what I was hoping to find, the Japanese version with good translations, as opposed to some pirated copy. Do any of you know if there's a scheduled release date? After my experience with my Macross Zero collection, with subtitles so far off that I can't even make sense of the story-line, I'm kind of skeptical about what I buy now. Hell, I still don't understand the plot in Macross Zero. Mr. Gubaba, I take it that you're translating some of the Macross DVDs on your own. I'm curious to see how they turn out, especially with DYRL, my all time favorite. Are you planning to do any fully dubbed versions, or subtitles only? Either way, I would like to see the results of your work. DYRL was such a beautifully made movie. It's a shame that the only English version we get sounds like all the characters are drugged with depressants, and the subtitled version isn't all that great. Imagine this movie remastered, with good translations or english dubbing, and available on Blu-Ray! Now that would be cool.

Edited by 656delta

R2 Japanese DVD/BluRay sure is very nice. But you won't get any subtitle/translation whatsoever, and be ready to pay literally an arm and a leg for it. Be prepared to pay around $500-600 for the entire collection. The last vol.9 (ep.23-25) will be out end of April. So you won't need to wait too long for owning the whole series.

In terms of bootleg DVDs, I have experience with the Malaysian version. The one that shows up often on ebay and comes with a free soundtrack vol.1 CD. The subtitle is actually very good for ep.1 - 24, with just very minor name and words mispelled once in a while (literally just mispelled, they actually got most if not all of the terms and names correct, as if someone knows the show well enough. Not someone try to make out of a random katagana or substituting with a Chinese name that had never watched the show before...maybe sourced from an existing fan sub...not sure). Good grammar and sentence structure. ep.25 however got a bit worse. Still understandable (not engrish), but you can tell the translation is done by a different person and some names or terms no longer follow what it was in ep.1-24. Video-wise, its straight from the Japanese TV broadcast. Most of the episodes (around 70%) are pretty crisp and clean. But the remaining 30% episodes suffered some video compression issue, making the colors look pixelated. Its not so bad as VCD with everything got pixelized (especially in fast action scenes), but more like less colors were displaying than it should (especially obvious when colors gradient, like in space scenes), and the video looks more blurry overall. The bad looking episodes spread out randomly, like 1-6 was good, then 7 & 8 got bad, then it gets good again, then a couple bad here and there, then its good again towards the last couple episodes. Its still very watchable, but something a video buff won't be happy watching or owning.

A domestic English DVD release is very unlikely (just like Macross 7 and Zero), so there is no easy way. You can choose to download episodes with fan sub and burn them on DVDs. Thats another to go at it.

Edited by mpchi

Hey guys, thanks for the insight. I don't have much time to log on with my work schedule, so I'm a little behind on the latest progress in the Macross products. I had no idea that the series wasn't out on DVD in Japan yet. That's actually what I was hoping to find, the Japanese version with good translations, as opposed to some pirated copy. Do any of you know if there's a scheduled release date? After my experience with my Macross Zero collection, with subtitles so far off that I can't even make sense of the story-line, I'm kind of skeptical about what I buy now. Hell, I still don't understand the plot in Macross Zero. Mr. Gubaba, I take it that you're translating some of the Macross DVDs on your own. I'm curious to see how they turn out, especially with DYRL, my all time favorite. Are you planning to do any fully dubbed versions, or subtitles only? Either way, I would like to see the results of your work. DYRL was such a beautifully made movie. It's a shame that the only English version we get sounds like all the characters are drugged with depressants, and the subtitled version isn't all that great. Imagine this movie remastered, with good translations or english dubbing, and available on Blu-Ray! Now that would be cool.

I appreicate politeness and civility, but "Mr." Gubaba...? I'm a little furry rodent that hangs out on the shoulder of o pink-haired, 14-year-old rocker girl...no need to call me "Mr." :p

"The Japanese version with good translations" is only available as a bootleg, and is likely to remain so as long as Harmony Gold owns the trademark to the name "Macross" in the U.S. (check here if you want more info and/or express your outrage). There are some pretty good fansubs available on-line. Conversely, you could buy the R2 Japanese DVDs, and download the subtitle package put together by Macrossworld member Xeros.

As for my project...yeah, I'll get to DYRL, but it most likely won't be until summer of next year. And I have neither the resources nor the desire to a dub...sorry. I think someone else was working on one, however...I haven't kept up with the project, but the samples I saw on youtube were astonishingly good.

R2 Japanese DVD/BluRay sure is very nice. But you won't get any subtitle/translation whatsoever, and be ready to pay literally an arm and a leg for it. Be prepared to pay around $500-600 for the entire collection. The last vol.9 (ep.23-25) will be out end of April. So you won't need to wait too long for owning the whole series.

In terms of bootleg DVDs, I have experience with the Malaysian version. The one that shows up often on ebay and comes with a free soundtrack vol.1 CD. The subtitle is actually very good for ep.1 - 24, with just very minor name and words mispelled once in a while (literally just mispelled, they actually got most if not all of the terms and names correct, as if someone knows the show well enough. Not someone try to make out of a random katagana or substituting with a Chinese name that had never watched the show before...maybe sourced from an existing fan sub...not sure). Good grammar and sentence structure. ep.25 however got a bit worse. Still understandable (not engrish), but you can tell the translation is done by a different person and some names or terms no longer follow what it was in ep.1-24. Video-wise, its straight from the Japanese TV broadcast. Most of the episodes (around 70%) are pretty crisp and clean. But the remaining 30% episodes suffered some video compression issue, making the colors look pixelated. Its not so bad as VCD with everything got pixelized (especially in fast action scenes), but more like less colors were displaying than it should (especially obvious when colors gradient, like in space scenes), and the video looks more blurry overall. The bad looking episodes spread out randomly, like 1-6 was good, then 7 & 8 got bad, then it gets good again, then a couple bad here and there, then its good again towards the last couple episodes. Its still very watchable, but something a video buff won't be happy watching or owning.

A domestic English DVD release is very unlikely (just like Macross 7 and Zero), so there is no easy way. You can choose to download episodes with fan sub and burn them on DVDs. Thats another to go at it.

i have this same one its not that bad

i have this same one its not that bad

That's good info. I thought for sure that the Malay version would be "engrish" garbage, but if you guys say it's okay then I'll go for it. Gonna get on ebay and order my set tonight. Thanks again to all of you.

Edited by 656delta