Another TV Max VF-1A Custom

magicsp00n

Hey guys. I started this Max custom awhile back when I was absolutely positive that Yamato wasn't putting out any more 1/48 valks. That was about two weeks before they announced the limited TV Max 1A, of course. I took a break for awhile, so I'm just now getting around to finishing it off. I've done some models and scratchbuilding before, but this is my first whack at customizing a Yamato valk. Big thanks to everybody who has posted pointers and pictures of their work, for giving me confidence to try it out.

The one new thing I tried was to do a custom TV-style head. I cut off the big movie-style eyepiece and fabricated a TV-style lens. I know the back of the heads are a little different between the movie and TV versions, but to me it's close enough not to bother with.

I've got a couple little details to add still, and the pilot, but here it is. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

Looking great! I purchased a couple of VF-1A model Arii kits 1:100 scale that I plan to "experiment" on since I'm starting out building/painting models. Keep up the good work you are giving me some ideas. BTW what type of paint did you use & how will you do the panel lines?

Edited by vf-1aace

Thanks for the responses, guys. Answers:

BTW what type of paint did you use & how will you do the panel lines?

The blue is Krylon Fusion Patriot Blue. The bits of red (like on the shoulders) is Krylon Fusion Red Pepper.

The eye was painted silver, then airbrushed with Tamiya Transparent Green, with a coat of Future for a little more shine. It's prettier in person than in the photos.

I don't plan on doing any panel lining; I'm going for more of a standard Yamato look with this one (which is why I stripped the old paint rather than paint over), and since the toys don't come panel-lined, this one won't be either.

CHow did you get the paint off of the chestplate?

Stripping the paint was a pain... I tried pretty much everything suggested on these forums: Pine-Sol, Brasso, brake fluid, Chameleon... I think soaking it in Chameleon overnight works the best to loosen up the paint, then using a wooden toothpick to get the gunk out of the panel lines without marring the plastic.

Edited by magicsp00n

Thanks. What is chameleon? WHere do I find it?

http://www.chameleonproductsonline.com/

A local hobby shop may carry it, but I just ordered directly from the website.

Good job... B)) ... But you should remove the black lines on the sides of the cockpit because they do not exist on the VF-1A "Max TV"... ;)

Ah, I hadn't noticed that. Nice catch, thanks.