Call for Help in Resolving Perfect Memory Publication Date Discrepanci

veffidas

Topic Title: Call for Help in Resolving Perfect Memory Publication Date Discrepancies (chopped due to length)

It seems that Macross World's section on Perfect Memory has at least one error and may be more. As I'm sure potential buyers use that Macross World page as a reference for purchases, it's probably pretty detrimental for there to be errors, especially for such an important book as Perfect Memory.

The obvious error is that Macross Perfect Memory was definitely printed in 1983 (Showa 58) - see here for pictures of a 10/10/1983 print date. The rest is pretty hazy in terms of concrete resources, but the information I've managed to gather is here: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...st&p=639943.

The short of it is Egan Loo doesn't seem to have a correct initial date of Macross Perfect Memory anywhere within the Compendium and this error seems to have propagated into Macross World. However, one citation in the Compendium points to Aug. 10, 1984 (which would correspond to an "OUT 8") and this would obviously point to a reprint date if correct, given the information above.

Therefore, a question to pose is whether there even a 1986 reissue at all. Given a blurry photo of a reprint, I seem to make out an 8 and 10 for Aug. 10, but the numbers for the year look less like a 61 (for 1986) and closer to 59 (for 1984) if anything. Of course, there could be more than one reprint, providing for 1986 regardless.

So, I guess what I'm asking for are clear photos of the top right corner of the front of the dust cover, above the S's of the "MACROSS," and likely the Table of Contents page (pg. 260) of the book (this is where the 10/10/1983 version has is publication date printed inside). I'm hoping to find at least two dates on the TOC page, as the 5th reissue (from 1992) of the Gold Book has two dates printed whereas the first edition only has one.

Photos of the first edition would help, but photos of the second would likely be the kicker to seal the deal. Thanks.

Added a photo from labsenpai's Gallery: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?auto...=si&img=204. It definitely looks looks a 59, the first digit is definitively not a 6. (I'm willing to be a lot don't know what the actual cover of the book looks like - under the dust cover.)

Edited by veffidas

• 3 years later...

This is a Necropost from hell but I picked this book up in Akihabara yesterday and I can for sure tell you it was printed in 1983 and the date on the top cover is 58-10-10. Under the dust cover is a cool UN Spacy SDF-1 Macross logo. I stumbled upon a ton of great old school Macross books and Mikimoto books yesterday. I am hoping to pick them up soon.

This is a Necropost from hell but I picked this book up in Akihabara yesterday and I can for sure tell you it was printed in 1983 and the date on the top cover is 58-10-10. Under the dust cover is a cool UN Spacy SDF-1 Macross logo. I stumbled upon a ton of great old school Macross books and Mikimoto books yesterday. I am hoping to pick them up soon.

Sweet! Find anything of interest. More importantly, how much did Perfect Momry set you back? I have a theory that it might get a bit cheaper on the 2nd hand mkt now due to the b BD box reprinting of it (albeit at a smaller scale).

What bizarre timing; I just happen to be working on an update to the "Books" section of my own website and then saw this thread. I'll make sure to note the 1983 date in the revised page.

EDIT, I checked my own book and can confirm the printing date is 1983 within the contents page.

Edited by Mr March