The Rock Band 2 vs. Guitar Hero World Tour Thread

Rock Band 2 vs. Guitar Hero World Tour  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which music game are you most excited about?

• Rock Band 2
    • Guitar Hero World Tour
  2. 2. Which system are you getting the game(s) for?

• PlayStation 3
    • XBOX 360
    • Wii
    • PlayStation 2
  3. 3. What's your favorite instrument in Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

• Guitar
    • Bass
    • Drums
    • Microphone

I just bought Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Kit for the 360 yesterday and when I took it out and began using the new Axe on GH: Aerosmith my down-strums don't register. Is it just me or is this a common problem with the GHwt Guitar? I'm planning on exchanging it today.

Hmmm...that's weird. Perhaps there's a patch you can download to correct the problem. When I got GHWT for the PS3, I found out that the guitar works on RB and RB2 (but not on the RB Track Pack Vol. 2 unless you download the songs from the PSX Network to play on RB and RB2).

Hmmm...that's weird. Perhaps there's a patch you can download to correct the problem. When I got GHWT for the PS3, I found out that the guitar works on RB and RB2 (but not on the RB Track Pack Vol. 2 unless you download the songs from the PSX Network to play on RB and RB2).

I exchanged it today and the guitar works flawlessly with Aerosmith and World Tour. The problem with the other axe is that when you strum down it didn't click, thus not registering the notes on screen.

So what songs are you jamming to on either game. Here's what's on my current set list:

Both Games

"American Woman" by The Guess Who

"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor

"Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi

"Mountain Song" by Jane's Addiction

Guitar Hero World Tour

"Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent

"The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band

"Hotel California" by the Eagles

"La Bamba" by Los Lobos

"The Wind Cries Mary" by Jimi Hendrix

"Purple Haze (Live)" by Jimi Hendrix

"Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne

"Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne

"Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen

"Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol

"Stillborn" by Black Label Society

Rock Band 2

"White Wedding (Part 1)" by Billy Idol

"Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran

"Lump" by the Presidents of the United States of America

"YYZ" by Rush

For those remotely interested, Konami's Rock Revolution is down to $20 at Best Buy. That sure dropped in price pretty quick. I know a lot of the covers suck (at least in the vocal department), but if I got the game it would be for Megadeth's Holy Wars... The Punishment Due.

I got through GHWT on Hard (Guitar) about two weeks back. The only song I ran into troubles with was the song by Muse. A lot of rapid strumming that was hard for me to time. The rest of the songs I didn't have much problems completing.

Now if I could only beat GHIII on hard...

For those remotely interested, Konami's Rock Revolution is down to $20 at Best Buy. That sure dropped in price pretty quick. I know a lot of the covers suck (at least in the vocal department), but if I got the game it would be for Megadeth's Holy Wars... The Punishment Due.

It's funny because on the same day I exchanged my GHWT Guitar Kit at Target I went next door to Gamestop and I saw a copy of Rock Revolution for $20. I decided to buy it out of curiosity. Some covers fail in the vocals (e.g. Cum on Feel The Noize, Were Not Gonna Take It, All the Small Things, My Dirty Little Secret, Highway Star, Run To The Hills :angry: ) but for some their just okay. Was it worth the $20 I spent IMHO? Yeah I think so. I play through short bursts through Quickplay plus all the tracks are all there for your shredding needs :rolleyes: (no need for career mode to open them up). So far Lita Ford's Kiss Me Deadly is my favorite song.

• 3 weeks later...

does anybody know about this deal where you can download your old RB1 songs for use with RB2? Will this work backwards...say I have RB1 can I borrow RB2 and download RB2 tracks to RB1

Also does anybody know if the track packs are limited to one machine? Or can someone buy it and resell it. i.e. the ACDC pack.

Edited by jwinges

does anybody know about this deal where you can download your old RB1 songs for use with RB2? Will this work backwards...say I have RB1 can I borrow RB2 and download RB2 tracks to RB1

Also does anybody know if the track packs are limited to one machine? Or can someone buy it and resell it. i.e. the ACDC pack.

Here's from rockband.com:

How do I transfer my songs?

Insert your validly purchased original Rock Band disc and update your title. This will add an “export disc” option to the Extras tab on the Main Menu of the original Rock Band. Click this option and follow the onscreen instructions. **Note: there is a charge of 400 Microsoft Points to re-license the songs for use in Rock Band 2. You will need to be online to purchase the license key for these tracks**

As for the AC/DC disc, the game is suppose to come with a code where you can download the songs to your hard drive. As for the other "Track Packs", are you talking about the ones that come on an actual disc?

Speaking of AC/DC, Wal-mart has recently dropped all the AC/DC Live track packs down $10. The special box sets that come with the extra DVD and Black Ice t-shirts have also been dropped to $29. I almost picked up the special box set for my 360, but I'm hesitant just because all the tracks are from the Live album of the same name (I had the tape many years ago) and I would rather have the original album versions. But I might change my mind. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those interested, I was at a Toys R Us a few days ago and saw that the Xbox 360 Gibson Xplorers are being cleared out for just $9.99 each. :o Though I just recently got a few wireless guitars, the wired Xplorers don't use batteries and they are fairly rugged so I went ahead and picked up two. It looks like this special price might be going on at other Toys R Us's so this might be a good time to get some extra gear.

For those interested, I was at a Toys R Us a few days ago and saw that the Xbox 360 Gibson Xplorers are being cleared out for just $9.99 each. :o Though I just recently got a few wireless guitars, the wired Xplorers don't use batteries and they are fairly rugged so I went ahead and picked up two. It looks like this special price might be going on at other Toys R Us's so this might be a good time to get some extra gear.

Damn, that's a steal. Just slap an "EET FUK" sticker on it and you'll be James Hetfield.

Looks like RedOctane/Activision are wiping the Gibson name off their list as quickly as possible after the whole legal mess that started last year. I always thought you'd be playing with fire if you attempted to do business with Gibson Guitars.

• 5 weeks later...

For those who feel nostalgic, Red Octane and Activision will release Guitar Hero: Smash Hits, which includes 48 songs from the first four Guitar Hero releases (I-III plus Encore: Rocks the 80s). Unlike the old releases, all songs will be original master recordings and will feature bass, drum and vocal tracks so four players will try their guts out on "Through the Fire and Flames." Unfortunately, "Iron Man" did not make the set list. :angry:

Guitar Hero: Smash Hits

Edited by areaseven

For those who feel nostalgic, Red Octane and Activision will release Guitar Hero: Smash Hits, which includes 48 songs from the first four Guitar Hero releases (I-III plus Encore: Rocks the 80s). Unlike the old releases, all songs will be original master recordings and will feature bass, drum and vocal tracks so four players will try their guts out on "Through the Fire and Flames." Unfortunately, "Iron Man" did not make the set list. :angry:

Guitar Hero: Smash Hits

I wish Iron Man and Ziggy Stardust would have made it too, granted the GHI Ziggy Stardust cover is fairly longer then the David Bowie original song, but otherwise I'm now starting to have more excuses to get rid of GHI and Rocks the 80's for my PS2.

Oh yeah, Rock Band is doing a Lego game later this year. One of the songs will be Europe's The Final Countdown so I'm looking forward to that.

An update on Guitar Hero Smash Hits:

Songs from Guitar Hero II have been announced. The best part is that Iron Maiden's "The Trooper", Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" and Mötley Crüe's "Shout at the Devil" made it on the list. Now to wait for the list of songs from Encore: Rocks the 80s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Over a month ago, RedOctane and Activision announced the release of Guitar Hero: Van Halen for this August. The game will feature 25 classic Van Halen, including three guitar solos ("Eruption", anyone?) by Eddie Van Halen. In addition, the game will include songs by Queen, Third Eye Blind, Weezer and Yellowcard.

So far, reports say that the current lineup (Eddie & Alex Van Halen, David Lee Roth and Wolfgang Van Halen) will be featured. It appears that Van Hagar (Sammy Hagar on vocals, 1985-1996, 2004) and the ill-fated Van Cherone (Gary Cherone on vocals, 1997-1999) will not exist in the game. Moreover, ex-bassist Michael Anthony (who was with the band until 2006) is nowhere to be found; there must really be bad blood between him and the band.

Here's the list of songs confirmed for the game:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Jump

Panama

You Really Got Me (not the cover version from Guitar Hero II)

"I Want It All" by Queen

"Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind

"Dope Nose" by Weezer

"The Takedown" by Yellowcard

Over a month ago, RedOctane and Activision announced the release of Guitar Hero: Van Halen for this August. The game will feature 25 classic Van Halen, including three guitar solos ("Eruption", anyone?) by Eddie Van Halen. In addition, the game will include songs by Queen, Third Eye Blind, Weezer and Yellowcard.

So far, reports say that the current lineup (Eddie & Alex Van Halen, David Lee Roth and Wolfgang Van Halen) will be featured. It appears that Van Hagar (Sammy Hagar on vocals, 1985-1996, 2004) and the ill-fated Van Cherone (Gary Cherone on vocals, 1997-1999) will not exist in the game. Moreover, ex-bassist Michael Anthony (who was with the band until 2006) is nowhere to be found; there must really be bad blood between him and the band.

Here's the list of songs confirmed for the game:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Jump

Panama

You Really Got Me (not the cover version from Guitar Hero II)

"I Want It All" by Queen

"Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind

"Dope Nose" by Weezer

"The Takedown" by Yellowcard

No Van Hagar = not a good Van Halen game. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was their best album.

Waits patiently for Guitar Hero: Chickenfoot.

No Van Hagar = not a good Van Halen game. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was their best album.

Waits patiently for Guitar Hero: Chickenfoot.

Not that I don't like Van Hagar, but aside from "Right Now" and "Dreams", that lineup is hardly legendary compared to the David Lee Roth era. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (its acronym banned here for obvious reasons) may be Van Hagar's best album, but it doesn't compare to the classic lineup's Fair Warning.

Not that I don't like Van Hagar, but aside from "Right Now" and "Dreams", that lineup is hardly legendary compared to the David Lee Roth era. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (its acronym banned here for obvious reasons) may be Van Hagar's best album, but it doesn't compare to the classic lineup's Fair Warning.

Honestly, I never got what was so "legendary" about the David Lee Roth era. Until Hagar joined the band, Van Halen was never more than a band that wouldn't make the change the station at best, and certainly not a band I'd actively listen too. Maybe because the DLR stuff was a little harder? Van Hagar had better songs and a better singer.

Well, at least we can all agree that Gary Cherone was better in Extreme.

• 2 weeks later...
It's funny because on the same day I exchanged my GHWT Guitar Kit at Target I went next door to Gamestop and I saw a copy of Rock Revolution for $20. I decided to buy it out of curiosity. Some covers fail in the vocals (e.g. Cum on Feel The Noize, Were Not Gonna Take It, All the Small Things, My Dirty Little Secret, Highway Star, Run To The Hills :angry: ) but for some their just okay. Was it worth the $20 I spent IMHO? Yeah I think so. I play through short bursts through Quickplay plus all the tracks are all there for your shredding needs :rolleyes: (no need for career mode to open them up). So far Lita Ford's Kiss Me Deadly is my favorite song.

I sold that wretched, glitchy and full of fail game and got RB1 and RB2. BTW did anybody download the RB Spinal Tap Track Pack?