I'm trying to recall

daeudi

Roughly 20 years ago... or something like that...

I found in a Big Lots store a Knock off of the SDF-1.

It was only a couple inches long, metallic red.

Composed mostly of die-cast, with detachable yellow plastic guns.

The head was more gundam style. (I think.)

It definitely had Macross style shoulder rail guns, as well as the beam cannons. (all in yellow plastic)

Does ANYONE know what I'm talking about, still have one, or able to tell me who made it and what they called it?

Edited by daeudi

Roughly 20 years ago... or something like that...

I found in a Big Lots store a Knock off of the SDF-1.

It was only a couple inches long, metallic red.

Composed mostly of die-cast, with detachable yellow plastic guns.

The head was more gundam style. (I think.)

It definitely had Macross style shoulder rail guns, as well as the beam cannons. (all in yellow plastic)

Does ANYONE know what I'm talking about, still have one, or able to tell me who made it and what they called it?

Hmm maybe you are thinking of Converters?

post-1691-1214710505_thumb.jpg

I've gone through the convertors images, and haven't found one close yet...

This pic is `close' to what I remember.... I think the main guns were in the natural diecast.

The yellow parts were detachable, it had a uniform red paint job . Pretty sure the head had a gundamish antenna.

The arms were more like nacelles or pontoons in shape, and had detachable yellow plastic fists.

And it was 4-6" tall in both modes, and was slimmer than most SDF-1 toys... made it look SLIGHTLY stretched out.

• 2 weeks later...

Pointless update (because no one else saw this back then, apparently)

I was flipping through Perfect Memory* and I realized that the torso and head more closely resembled the concept art for the "original" SDF. Possibly even the main guns, as well. But it DEFINITELY had the "Final" version's shoulder cannons.

post-1691-1215663472_thumb.jpg

*Because one should, every now and then....

You're thinking of a small, CONVERTORS-like toy by Clover of the Xabungle super-carrier robot IRON GEAR, which has a strong resemblance to the early preproduction Macross design you mentioned. I have one at home (a couple, actually) but no images handy. They were released in various packaging ranging from repros of the actual Xabungle box packaging (including a little menko card!) to blue generic Kresge/K-Mart packaging. Here's an auction of the beautiful, massive modern SOC version of it, with images of it in both modes that might ring a bell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-Soul-of-Chogoki...1QQcmdZViewItem

...If you want one of the old toys of it you recall, PM me! I may have an extra in decent shape. I'll try to shoot a couple of pics tonight & post 'em. [i've got a bunch of recent stuff I need to get images of anyway, including some knockoff Macross plastic kits.]

Edited by AcroRay

Acroray is right, he is definitely thinking of the small Iron Gear toy. I still have one , here he is with his cousin. Mine has a copyright mark on it of 1983 Sunrise Taiwan Enterprise Corp. The Macross is just stamped Japan on the rear of each of his lower legs. I remember I bought them both at the same time on the blue blister cards at Kmart, so they were distributed by the same company.

post-168-1215722109_thumb.jpg

Edited by glane21

Acroray is right, he is definitely thinking of the small Iron Gear toy. I still have one , here he is with his cousin. Mine has a copyright mark on it of 1983 Sunrise Taiwan Enterprise Corp. The Macross is just stamped Japan on the rear of each of his lower legs. I remember I bought them both at the same time on the blue blister cards at Kmart, so they were distributed by the same company.

Yep - probably both overstock from Japan, or stock manufactured by the originating companies' subcontractors to cover debts their creators left behind (which is certainly the case with the little plastic Takatoku toys, giving birth to the CONVERTORS line among other usages).

I'll skip out on photography of mine, although I do have the boxed K-mart edition (Blue box, much like the blister-carded one) and one in a box like the original, but fully-translated. There are other editions as well out there that I've seen.

Xabungle was a fun series, with some cool super-real mecha designs and a beautiful model kit series.

Thank you AcroRay and Glane21!!!

That IS what I am thinking of- the Iron Gear in the same small size as the two Glane showed.

Now I know I'm not crazy... well, I know my memory isn't full of hallucinations, anyway... well, I know this existed!

:wacko: