Reversing the traditional Jetfire-ification?

Nerroth

Hi.

It's very impressive to see some of the Jetfire conversions on the boards - as a fan of the character (mostly from the comics - the DW and IDW versions of the flying scientist seem to do the character the most justice, plus DW came up with the idea of the toy version being armour worn by the cartoon version Jetfire, and the cool pre-Earth version from War Within!) it's good to see people keeping the scheme alive, be it on Revoltechs or larger-scale model kits.

However, I was wondering if anyone had thought of doing the reverse - and taking the Titanium and Classics versions of Jetfire released by Hasbro and converting them into a Macross-esque piloted craft?

If you are unfamiliar with the models in question, Titanium Jetfire was released as a partly-diecast figure, based on the design used for Jetfire in the pre-Earth Dreamwave comic series, The War Within: The Dark Ages:

Jetfiretitaniumwarwithin.jpg

While Classics Jetfire was a plastic kit released by Hasbro, and more recently by TakaraTomy (EDIT: Not quite released yet, it seems - though given that there are other Classics figures out already, it wouldn't be a major stretch to imagine Jetfire beign added to the Henkei line eventually) based on the design given to the character in IDW's Stormbringer comic series:

Jetfireclassicsvoyager.jpg

Galleries of both are available to check out here and here, if you are interested.

(Personally, I like the Titanium design with the wings forward-swept in flight mode, though the Classics version looks great with and without armour - and has the removable helmet, too!)

What, if any, design could either model be re-decoed as - or has anyone had this idea already?

Edited by Nerroth

To be honest I don't think people have had this idea because the jets themselves don't look much like Macross fighters. A lot of people, myself included have done Jetfire versions of Macross Valks because that is what the original Jetfire toy was made from. Since the Yamato versions are so much more detailed it looks like a transfomers Masterpiece version of the original Jetfire. I also think the boredom over no newly released 1/48 scale yammies had a bit to do with it too.

I've considered turning my Classics Jetfire into a Focker type, but I only have one and I won't pay like 30 bucks for another one. If I could find another for one loose for like 10-15 I might do it.

Heh, I never liked Classics Jetfire. I always think of it as "Fatfire" because his robot mode looks so fat. The arms hanging out the sides in jet mode is also pretty weak.

The titanium Jetfire looks good from the top, but from the side looks pretty blocky, as Transformers jets often do. I guess Hasbro figures kids won't care as long as it looks like a jet from the top.

Well, one reason why Classics Jetfire doesn't look more like a Veritech is that, well, he can't - Hasbro and TakaraTomy would have to wade feet-first into the legal issues surrounding the original design and its derivations to resolve it.

A shame it's a never-the-twain-shall-meet thing, since I'd love - love! - to see Jetfire-ifications of other VFs...

...and to see our high-flying scientist work out how to deal with the Vajra, and the even greater mystery of how Ranka's hair moves around the way it does!

Still, I think that Classics Jetfire looks pretty cool - and he ain't fat, he's loaded for interstellar travel!

Also - Excillon, I found this, if it helps.

Edited by Nerroth

I don't mind that classics Jetfire doesn't look like a VF, but why didn't they just make him look like the cartoon Skyfire? They sort of paid homage to it with the blocky nose, but Classics Jetfire looks like an F-14 with an ugly nose. I'd much rather they have just made him look like the more spaceship-esque cartoon Skyfire.

He was designed like that for the alternate-G1 universe being established by IDW Publishing, in serials such as Stormbringer - and he's far from the only TF in said series to have such a re-design.

Although, the issue is somewhat open as to why he has an alt mode that seems somewhat Earth-like, when he hasn't (so far as we know) been on Earth.

For example, there is a marked difference in the IDW setting between the pre-Earth Hot Rod (turns into a hover-car-thing) and Earth-bound Roddy (turns into a Dodge Viper-a-like) - but then, there are other worlds where vaguely Earth-like vehicles exist without rasing too many eyelids (Ultra Magnus had a wheeled truck mode he used on Nebulos, and raised few eyebrows... although the IDW-universe Nebulans are more distinct from humanity than in older comics, and thus might not have the same kind of reaction in the first place!).

Edited by Nerroth