Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Gubaba

About The Ravages of Time, don't worry about it being boring. In fact, it will have more surprises than you could imagine, even if you know Three Kingdoms back to back. Its like Three Kingdoms you've never seen before, but yet keeping it realistic enough without crazy magic or super human abilities (though they can usually take a few more hits than usual). It just took a quite different look on the saga slightly different from the view we are so used to from Romance of the Three Kingdom novel. Still based heavily on the historical events, but filling in a lot of gaps and 'what if' scenarios that the author can fit into the events and characters. So gone are a lot of the sterotypical characteristics of certain characters:

Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei are no longer the center main characters. They just appear sparingly. Liu Bei is more like a Jack Sparrow type witty funny guy, Guan Yu still the same badass, and Zhang Fai is a skinny clever poet (supposedly based on some writings the author digged up from historical records). Lu Bu is no longer the super powerful but kind of dumb dude. He is very very clever in this one, like in Zhuge Liang level. And you won't even know the identity of the main character until reading a few volumes, keep you guessing the whole time. Basically, a lot of "more than meets the eye" moments and plot twists going on in this manga. So its definitely very refreshing to read. Almost like a Romance of Three Kingdom ver. 2, with a complete different look at the same events and characters, without getting overboard.

I am more worried about this not having an English translation for some of you guys to read, rather than bore you out. :D

I am more worried about this not having an English translation for some of you guys to read, rather than bore you out. :D

I looks like onemanga.com has English scanlations of the first 80 chapters...I'll check it out after I finish the novel...since I'll probably want a little break before diving right into The Water Margin...

(And yes, I'm going to read all Four Chinese Classics, but it'll take me a while...)

I read about 4 different versions of the translations (into Korean from Chinese). Although not as authentic as the Chinese version, the Koreans simply love this story and it's been translated by many prominent authors over the past century (some in abbreviated form). I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time (in grade school) and since then, I've been a big fan. I do agree that the ending is a bit of a let down but it is part history. There has been attempts to shed Cao Cao in a new light over the recent years.

I read about 4 different versions of the translations (into Korean from Chinese). Although not as authentic as the Chinese version, the Koreans simply love this story and it's been translated by many prominent authors over the past century (some in abbreviated form). I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time (in grade school) and since then, I've been a big fan. I do agree that the ending is a bit of a let down but it is part history. There has been attempts to shed Cao Cao in a new light over the recent years.

So THAT explains it...a Korean-American guy I know saw me reading the book at the coffee shop a while back, and he insisted that the story was Korean, not Chinese. I finally showed him the book's introduction, which settled the matter...

And you read FOUR different translations?!? Wow...that's dedication!

• 1 month later...

I finally finished it a few months ago...I thought the ending generated some interest, but that the story really died when Liu Bei did.

Now I'm reading "Outlaws of the Marsh" (a.k.a "The Water Margin" and "All Men Are Borthers"), which is just as long, but (so far, knock on wood) much less confusing.

So THAT explains it...a Korean-American guy I know saw me reading the book at the coffee shop a while back, and he insisted that the story was Korean, not Chinese. I finally showed him the book's introduction, which settled the matter...

Hahaha... that was hilarious. A lot of Koreans grew up in the '60s, '70s and part of the '80s secluded from the rest of the world. I don't think it was until the '88 Olympics until Korea truly opened up its borders to new ideas, cultures and what not. When I was young, we were made to believe that all of the Japanese animation they showed on TV were Korean. It wasn't until a friend of mine had received a toy Mazinger Z as a gift from his uncle who lived in Japan that we realized it was Japanese. :lol:

My view is that it takes a while for a society to reach the maturity level where they begin to recognize and give credit to other cultures (including pop culture) as well as to acknowledge the differences. B))

And you read FOUR different translations?!? Wow...that's dedication!

What can I say? I was a big fan. If the Macross TV and DYRL were made and remade by either KS or any of his disciples (with slightly different takes or angles), wouldn't you be interested in giving a go at it? :rolleyes:

I finally finished it a few months ago...I thought the ending generated some interest, but that the story really died when Liu Bei did.

Now I'm reading "Outlaws of the Marsh" (a.k.a "The Water Margin" and "All Men Are Borthers"), which is just as long, but (so far, knock on wood) much less confusing.

The Water Margin was good. However, I am not sure I got immersed in it as much as I did "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". By the way, have you READ "Legend of the Galactic Heroes"? Not the anime version but the actual novel that gave birth to the anime? Not sure if this was translated into English though. If you liked Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I bet that you would like this one.

The Water Margin was good. However, I am not sure I got immersed in it as much as I did "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". By the way, have you READ "Legend of the Galactic Heroes"? Not the anime version but the actual novel that gave birth to the anime? Not sure if this was translated into English though. If you liked Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I bet that you would like this one.

No, I haven't read them yet (as you say, there's no English version), but I really want to. My Japanese is passable, but certainly not good enough to read a novel.

Still, perhaps one day...