model kit question from a noob

dirk14

wanna start on my first macross model kit...

Which kits are fully transformable?

how big in inches is a 1/72 scale is in battroid mode?

ty

If it's a VF-1 you're looking for, this is probably what you want:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN30497

They're out of production, but you should be able to find them on ebay. But they're old kits, and, in my opinion, not very good.

I'd say if you want a good transformable VF-1, go with a Yamato 1/48 VF-1 toy instead. And if you just want to build a model, Hasegawa is the way to go. All the Hasegawa kits are non-transformable, but they're by far the best ones out there.

And a 1/72 VF-1 is about 9" in battroid mode.

Yeah Valk is right

The best way to go is Hasegawa.

You can have all the fun building a Battroid and fighter and then you can get both kits again and kit bash a Gerwalk out of the two.

They are much better than the Bandai one which are a 20 year old design and need a lot of work to look good.

I think with careful construction and a good paint job, the Bandai transformable kits look pretty good. The engineering in those kits is still quite amazing today, and to think they were designed 20 years ago! :blink: While the Hasegawa kits do look more realistic, the Bandai's are still great in my book. The biggest problem with them I think is the shape of the nose section.

I say just go for it and have fun building them! That's what a hobby is supposed to be about anyway. ;)

I guess the question is have you built many models before? I saw it's your first Macross kit, but I don't want to assume you're first kit period. The Hasagawas are the most accurate in detail, but I have to agree too that the Bandai transformable kit is the bomb! I've built a few and modified a few.

The only kit I've thought was better is the 1/200th IJN Yamato kit by Nichimo; 52 inches of beautiful ABS battleship!!! - MT

The Hasagawas are the most accurate in detail, but I have to agree too that the Bandai transformable kit is the bomb!

The Bandai kits are good like MT said and along with the Arii and IImai kits open to modding and general tarting up. I have seen Hasegawa noses put on them among other things.