A question about custom decals

redfinger61

So I found on the main page the link to the model section of this site....I also found that many of the decal sheets for the Hasegawa models are avilable. I was thinking of copying them and making some decals of my own.

One problem is that the back ground of all the decal sheets are blue, so if I was to merly take the copy of the decals sheet scan, then print it out on my own sheet of decal paper, they would all have a blue tint, you guys see what I mean??

So my question is how can a use that decal scans, and still have a transparent decal film where I need it to be?

Thanks

Ashton

So I found on the main page the link to the model section of this site....I also found that many of the decal sheets for the Hasegawa models are avilable. I was thinking of copying them and making some decals of my own.

One problem is that the back ground of all the decal sheets are blue, so if I was to merly take the copy of the decals sheet scan, then print it out on my own sheet of decal paper, they would all have a blue tint, you guys see what I mean??

So my question is how can a use that decal scans, and still have a transparent decal film where I need it to be?

Thanks

Ashton

Well this has been raised befor eover the years anumber of times but... The way I would do it is to use your paint programme ideally paint shop pro or photoshop or gimp to remove all pixels that match the blue green clolur of the decal sheet. The only problem then is that all the wight decals wont showup. Printing white is difficult unless you have some really high end printing stuff, I supose you dont as you`d not be asking if you did. An Alps printer can do a withe print but these are sadly no longer made and are geting hard to find both working/new and as spares. If you dont want the white decals like the UNSpacy script then no worries, as for the kites just print onto a peice of white decal paper. Better results are from the laser printer decal sheets these are available on Evilbay quite cheaply. If you dont have a good res color laser printer save the file format as graphics shop format and take it to the printers and get them to print it out.

For your interest I use Paintshop pro 9 Photoshop CSV (sometimes) and Serrif Draw and Seriff 3D a cheap scanner and the colour laser printers at work ^_^

Generally as a rule I scan em in at a high res and then in my paint programme scale it down to the correct size for the original decal sheet and then go to work on them. I have a programme that converts the jpeg from the scanner into a vector graphics image which scales down with out loss of quaility. This helps so much you can if you like just draw over them using the layers function in a vector format wich is perfectly scaleable. Hope this gives you some insights Im sure that the others here who are into this too will chime in and fill in the bits I missed out etc.

Edited by big F

Oddly enough I had this same question the other day and Anasazi37 helped me out. If you have Photoshop click CTRL+L and a little window should pop up. There are 3 eyedroppers in the window. Click on the white one and then click a blue part of the scan of the decal. You may have to do this more than once as there are probably several different shades of blue in the scan. Then do an auto contrast ALT+SHIFT+CTRL+L as the eyedropper tends to fade the image a little.