A question on the title Macross II

VF5SS

Ginrai and I are planning a podcast on Macross II and we were just wondering if the title of Macross II (like the number 2) or Macross II (as in Macross the Second). The confusion stems from the fact that anime titles seem to use roman numerals to stand for "the second" or "the third" like Babel II is Babel the second, or Artimage III is Artimage the third. Likewise Megazone 23 III is Megazone Two Three the Third.

Ginrai and I are planning a podcast on Macross II and we were just wondering if the title of Macross II (like the number 2) or Macross II (as in Macross the Second). The confusion stems from the fact that anime titles seem to use roman numerals to stand for "the second" or "the third" like Babel II is Babel the second, or Artimage III is Artimage the third. Likewise Megazone 23 III is Megazone Two Three the Third.

I believe it's two.

Good question!

Considering at the time it was the only new Macross on the block after nearly a decade and there didn't seem to be any interest by SK or Studio Nue to continue the franchise at that point, so it was most likely meant to be "the second" back in 1992. Granted it was based heavily on DYRL, probably because SK was quoted as saying that the actual story of Macross was a cross between the events of SDFM and DYRL in a previous interview about the story discrepancies between the two.

Then when Mac Plus and 7 went into production in 1994, it appears to have become relegated to "2" and then ultimately to an "alternate universe" for the sake of Studio Nue's story continuity.

Edited by Zinjo

Thinking about it, the easiest way to figure this out is to watch the next episode previews (if it has any) and see how the show is introduced. Like, if the narrator says Next time on Chou Jikuu Yousai: Macross Nisei then it's the Second. I only have Manga's dumb "movie version" so I don't know if there are next episode previews.

Thinking about it, the easiest way to figure this out is to watch the next episode previews (if it has any) and see how the show is introduced. Like, if the narrator says Next time on Chou Jikuu Yousai: Macross Nisei then it's the Second. I only have Manga's dumb "movie version" so I don't know if there are next episode previews.

It does have next episode previews. I'll check my Japanese discs when I get home to hear what it says.