Help

Excillon

Can someone please help me out? I'm curious about a couple kits. Pics, reviews, etc. would be great. Also size would be great. I'm not all that familar with Macross scales outside of toy scales (1/48, 1/60, 1/55). I am very familar with Gundam scales though.

1/48 Legioss vairable kit

All bandai variable kits (Mac 7, VF, etc. in 1/144, 1/100, and 1/72 scale)

Thanks!

Can someone please help me out? I'm curious about a couple kits. Pics, reviews, etc. would be great. Also size would be great. I'm not all that familar with Macross scales outside of toy scales (1/48, 1/60, 1/55). I am very familar with Gundam scales though.

1/48 Legioss vairable kit

All bandai variable kits (Mac 7, VF, etc. in 1/144, 1/100, and 1/72 scale)

Thanks!

Here are some compareison pics for you.

Left to right, 1/60 YF-19,1/48 Legioss vairable kit, 1/12 Ride armor, 1/55'ish Toynaomi Alpha

IPB Image

IPB Image

1/72 VF-0S reactive armor, 1/48 GBP arnor, 1/60 VF-0a

IPB Image

Hopes this helps

Edited by robodragon

Robodragon gave you some great pictures to go by. I like the 1/48 variable Legios kit myself. It's a model so it gets weak in some joints, but its a one piece tranforming mecha; no extra parts. Bandai's kits vary depending on the kit. Some of them are molds purchased from other vendors. Hasegawa's kits are all excellelent. I love the ones I have and I haven't heard anyone say they hated theirs. - MT

I agree, I like the 1/48 legioss kits, but they are a bit difficult. Some modelling experience will help quite a bit with them.

I like the old Bandai (Imai?) 1/72 variable VFs. They do sacrifice some accuracy for the transformation ability and they do require parts swapping. I still think they look better in any mode than the other single mode kits from the same time period. For their day they were amazing and I think they still hold up very well when given the proper attention. The biggest problem with them is the nose cone section does not have the best shape. They are also much easier to build than the legioss kit. Just take your time and be careful with the glue around the joint areas. Another plus is that they can still be found for reasonable prices. Some were packaged as ROBOTECH defenders kits and these have English intructions that may help you.

The 1/100 transforming kits are nearly identical to the 1/72 kits, just smaller. The nosecone is much better, and most of the 1/100 kits come as super/strike versions and the leg and arm armors are built into the parts, so they can't be made as a standard valkyrie. There are some standard ones out there, but they are hard to find. The smallness of the parts adds to the difficulty of building them and makes them more fragile. They are also not as posable as the 1/72. Legs and especially the arms have limited posability.

If you have limited model building experience and still want a transforming model, I would recommend the 1/72 Bandai valks to start with. Well, that's my $.02 worth. Hope it helps.

Hey, Robodragon, love that flanker scheme on the toynami Legioss! :D