Predator: Original Soundtrack Review

Hey,

Recently had the chance to hear the entire score from Predator, finally on CD now. Here is my full review.

After years of waiting, here it is: Predator- By Alan Silvestri. An interesting score to say the least, its lack of a release really gave it much more attention than it could have seen coming. However, thanks to the folks at Varese Sarabande...here I am, reviewing a legitimate version of this very popular sci-fi score.

Utilizing an array of different percussion and electronic effects, Silvestri also employs a full orchestra. This creates some truly pounding and forceful action cues which do not let up in their power or sometimes over bearing style. One of the more recognizible qualities about the score is the militaristic main theme. But! This release does not start out with the 'Main Titles'. In a gesture of true generosity, we are given the Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare by Alfred Newman, arranged by Elliot Goldenthal. This arrangement, from 1992 was used in conjunction with Alien3. Personally, I think it works wonders here. Its the usual fanfare, until towards the end, everything sort of "melts" into a very dissonant and screeching close. Its a perfect segue way into the now famous main titles.

The Predator theme is well remembered. Its heavy, and quite militaristic. In terms of quality, its a competant piece and never loses sight of itself. The relentless pace and attention getting synths just are a complete blast to listen to. However, I think Silvestri could have done better. This was two years after 'Back To The Future', so there is a similar sound to this one with his arrangements and playing styles. This is not a good thing considering the differences in tone for each respective film. I enjoy the score immesnely, but the theme he uses just doesn't seem to be that of an invisible alien hunter. Something more spacey and perhaps emphasizing evil would have worked. Or, a less pinched orchestration could have sufficed. However, you could argue that this theme is more for the commandos and the Predator is somewhere in the middle thematically (although the theme is reprised in the sequel). This is more where I go as the soldier's arrival in the beginning is perfectly complimented by the theme. Now, on to the rest of the score.

The first few cues are atmospheric and all sort of lead up to the first kill by the Predator. 'Payback Time' is a catchy cue that prepares the men for a raid on a guerilla camp. 'Jungle Trek' gets to use the commando/Predator theme a bit towards the end. But, it all culminates on the eigth track 'The Girl's Escape'. Signifying the first kill of the Predator, the one minute mark begins a sequence of PURE fun and action scoring greatness. The action just moves along seamlessly and works quite well. Although, its put to better use in a recent Batman fan film (IMHO). After the body is gone and the commandos search for it, Blain (Jesse Ventura) is killed. The best action piece on the score takes place for this sequence. 'Blain's Death' is chaos. First, the psychotic breakdown of Mac as he sees the Predator (relentless percussion and brass here). and the men as they lay waste to an entire section of forest. Then, the revelation afterwards that they hit nothing has a more evil and slow pace. 'He's My Friend' uses a very militaristic solo trumpet as Mac says goodbye to his friend Blain.

After this, the score kind of degenerates. The following cues are mostly build up and just work in the film. The remaining men set a trap and wait for the Predator (and the accompanying cue gives hope for what's to come). After a failed attempt to stop it, things kick back into high gear and almost return to the style of the first half. A main stand out cue of the second half is 'Battle Preperations'. Going hand in hand with the two warriors preparing for a final showdown, a very suspenseful build up follows to a HUGE finish as Dutch (Schwarzenegger) lets the Predator know its time. A very effective cue in the movie, it loses somehting here, but its still very good.

The battle between the two is more of the suspense and action material presented above. All good mind you, just rehashed and tweaked a bit. A favorite moment of mine is the lead in to the mask of the alien being removed. For the End Credits, we get to hear them in a form NOT from a VHS copy. The bootleg originally just used a hissy and poorer quality rip as this cue. Essentially just a reprise of the main theme after the use of the solo trumpet, it works just as well as a close.

I'm glad that the quality is better for this release too. The bootleg had good quality, but was over modulated at parts and tampered with the bass. Here, its all in pristine and resonating sound quality. The score itself is one I grew up with so naturally, I'm a bit biased. But, after a few listens, I do see its shortcomings. Silvestri would evolve to using a more dynamic sounding orchestra arrangement and style, but here, its the same sound as his other work from that time. this detracts from the jungle setting which would seem larger, and deep. Still, a great and fun listen, it should be snatched while you can get it as its Silvestri's most requested soundtrack (next to the ill-fated 'Back To The Future' score). Plus, he didn't have the same frenetic energy for the sequel. Here, its all out action scoring bliss! Back To The Future needs to be next...please Varese! :)

Rating- 4 out of 5 (3 if you omitted the theme)

There you have it! I highly suggest this disc to Predator and soundtrack fans. BTW, there are only 3,000 copies being printed :(

Let me know if you want the site where its available (can only be bought through the record label). :)

• 8 months later...