VF-11's missiles

shoopdawhoop

Actually, I've always thought the YF-19 was quite lacking in missile firepower. Those leg missile bays are not really very big.

The production VF-19F/S are supposed to hold a total of 48 micro-missiles in the legs (24 per leg), but again this is only micro-missiles which are short range only.

Graham

I suppose it's all relative, but the YF-19 is nonetheless a missile mecha and carries more than the VF-11 (sans FAST Packs).

Long range mecha combat has never really been a major part of Macross, even from the days of SDFM and DYRL. We do see a few examples, but these mecha engagements always rapidly develop into closer range battle. I think it's fair to say that the majority of mecha battles in Macross are medium-to-close range skirmishes and dog fights.

To me, the role of missiles in Macross is one of a complementary armament. OverTechnology just provides too much accurate point defense for a fire-and-forget battlefield. Missiles seem to function as either a one-two attack or screen fire, either serving up the coup de grâce in an already heated laser/ballistic engagement or as suppression fire allowing the missile-launching mecha a chance to gain superior position for a laser/ballistic kill.