VF-X2

Wicked Ace

I'm having trouble with the controls in this game. I looked through a few old VF-X2 threads and read enabling "Forward View" helps. My problem is I can't get the forward view to work -- I enable it in the menu, then start the game and don't have it, only "Target" and "Missle" views. Also, will someone explain what

"Arcade" and "Simulator" control settings and "Forward View" actually do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Wicked Ace

the only way to get forward view is before starting (or resuming a game) in the options screen. You have to activate it (and at the same time, you have the option of changing whatever action some of the buttons will do, if I'm remembering correctly.) By the sounds of things, you appear to be doing it correctly. Nevertheless, I must ask for a double check: was it really activated? If yes, there may be some other problems going on.

Oh... are you playing the actual game release, or the partial release that came with the PS1 release of the DYRL side scroller? I haven't checked, but the partial release *may* not have all the features of the game.

Once forward view is activated, you'll be able to switch between target, missile, and forward view. I find it highly annoying that forward view is NOT a default setting. >.< It's the only real weak point of a highly enjoyable game.

I'm not sure what the difference is between arcade and simulator is - it may be a difference between more realistic, and more fantastical flying. But that's just a guess based on the words used.

Forward view basically keeps the camera exactly behind the VF. IMHO it is the best view, because you know exactly where you are shooting, and where you are flying - I get disoriented by the other views too easily. @.@ However, they are useful for checking where the enemy is, and are helpful if you want to dodge missiles that are on your tail.

OK, got "Forward View" to work. I think I had "Control" set to "Arcade" rather than "Simulator" before. With "Simulator" setting and "Forward View" activated, I get forward view during gameplay. I'm sure I'm going to need a lot more help with this game. Thanks in advance for help.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Advice: save your micro missiles for the Ghosts and harder level bosses. The shorter time needed to lock on, and their higher manueverability is a definite benefit, especially vs. the highly manueverable Ghost, and against the later or last one or two bosses - that litterally hammer you to death with gun fire if you start flying level and in their direction. Don't be afraid to do constant full thrust turns. Especially with the more advanced VFs, it is effective at avoiding incoming missiles, and sooner or later the enemies run out of missiles (especially true of the ones that fire gobs and gobs of them.)

Advice: save your micro missiles for the Ghosts and harder level bosses. The shorter time needed to lock on, and their higher manueverability is a definite benefit, especially vs. the highly manueverable Ghost, and against the later or last one or two bosses - that litterally hammer you to death with gun fire if you start flying level and in their direction. Don't be afraid to do constant full thrust turns. Especially with the more advanced VFs, it is effective at avoiding incoming missiles, and sooner or later the enemies run out of missiles (especially true of the ones that fire gobs and gobs of them.)

Thanks -- I did pick up on the micro missle thing, as I thought it unfair that a Ghost was coming after me while I was in a VF-1! Any tips on gameplay are greatly appreciated.

edit: Does the rank at the end of each mission mean anything? So far, I'm a "C" pilot, so I want to know if I'm missing out on locked Valkyries or anything else.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Hmmm... I don't want to spoil the fun of flying the various VFs and trying them out in the different missions... but I will add this:

The nuke is an area effect weapon. Beware it's blast radius, and if you find yourself in it, get out of it! (Applicable to the Armored VF-11 (blown myself up at least once!) and the Hatchet Class Destroyer.) The grenades also do this too (VB-6, and if I remember correctly, the Armored VF-1, and VF-11.)

During the battle royal mission, the former squadron leader returns, and offers a choice, by way of a face off. You can either shoot him, or not shoot him. Not shooting him leads to the final few missions, along with a groovy animation. It is also the easier of the two conclusions. Shooting him in the faceoff results in the quicker, and much, much more difficult ending.

Storywise, it's a bit convoluted, but basically the UN personnel that are doing the coup are lead by the squad's commanding officer. By not shooting the former squad leader, you are making a choice to join with a faction of the group doing the coup (they may be a seperate, and unrelated group) and eventually doing the right thing for the UN Spacy and humanity in general. Shooting your former squad leader basically means following the commanding officer, and hunting down the former squad leader and his allies.

I'm sure I'm not doing it justice, as it's very, very late as I write this, and I haven't played the game in months. Nevertheless, there's a running joke in the game - during the opening for the first mission, when the pilots are saying roger to the squad leader, the hero (Aegis Focker) is pretty much caught not paying attention (due to nerves?) and says something unsuitable. He gets teased from then on for being a greenstick. (This is despite the fact that he is already a highly skilled pilot, and the first mission is essentially a virtual sim testing him, and the other pilots to see if they'll work in the VF-X Ravens squad.)

Listen for it - cherry boy.

Edited by sketchley