Gundam Toys & Kits

Hi there. As a fan of Macross I recently started watching Gundam Wing and get blown away by the mecha in it. So I want to start collecting Gundam toys. Please tell me with which toys and from where to begin with...

I liked Gundam DeathScythe most in Gundam Wing and looking for something like Yamato 1/70 YF-21 in terms of quality and size. And I'm not interested in kits that nrequires glue and paint

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sevket_Erhat

Okay, first things first - this section of the MW forums is for Macross toys, not Gundam toys. Posts regarding those should be posted in the "Anime and Science Fiction" section. I'm sure the mods will move this post and any replies shortly.

Gundam Wing is quite an old series, relatively speaking, so you may find the toys a little hard to find thse days. You should probably look for Bandais line of "Mobile SUIT in Action" toys. These will be a bit smaller than the 1/72 YF-21 and largely made of plastic, but are reasonably detailed and poseable.

AFAIK, there aren't many large-scale Gundam Wing figures. I know there was a big, Japanese-release Gundam Wing Zero, and there may have been a couple of large scale US releases, but I don't recall seeing a large-scale Death Scythe.

Bandai have recently launched a line of "HCMPro" Gundam figures, which are smaller than MSIA figures but very detailed and poseable. Currently, there are no Gundam Wing figures in the line-up but its a possibility for the future. Of course, if you're interested, they would be a good place to discover the many and varied delights of "classic" Gundam, as directed by He Who Kills 'Em All, Yoshiyuki Tomino... :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

First of all, there is absolutely nothing that says you can't post about non Macross in here. I imagine, that because a Gundam figure isn't an anime, it's a toy, he figured it should go in the clearly marked Toy section.

Secondly, there is a large amount of territory covered in this topic. Keep in mind that the Gundam models are all snap together, molded in color, figures. That means no glue, and no paint. Now, some of the smaller kits (and older kits) will require some paint to look accurate, but keep in mind that model building is an art, and you are the artist. Most HGUC, any MG and every PG will require not one drop of paint to look amazing. Most High Grades in 1/100 and all the ones I've seen in 1/60 won't really need paint either. Now, if it's not a model, but an actual toy you are looking for, yes, the HCM Pro line is amazing. Tiny Gundam figures with great paint jobs, great posability, and amazing detail for their size. If you are looking for some hand candy, this is your fix. Speaking of FIX, if you are looking for something to put on your shelf and look bad ass, the Gundam FIX line is perfect. Designed by Hajime Katoki, every figure of that line is oriented toword looking cool. Many of them come with stands for dynamic poses, and most of them have options to actually swap them between different Mobile Suits. For example, my FIX Gundam Ver Ka has removable armors, and a second set of armors to allow me to rebuild it as a RGM-79 GM-C, with a new sculpt and paint job. You would need to keep in mind, however, that these are display figures, not playing figures. If all you want is something to play with, MSiA is built for that. The figures are built almost entirely out of PVC, and they are very very hard to break.

Anyhow, just look into it. Gundam is easily one of the most expansive merchanise lines around. It rivals Star Wars in sheer scope, variety, and numbers. If there's something you're looking for, it's in there.

First of all, there is absolutely nothing that says you can't post about non Macross in here. I imagine, that because a Gundam figure isn't an anime, it's a toy, he figured it should go in the clearly marked Toy section.

From the FAQ:

"Section II: Off Topic

Be here for the discussion of Macross. Please don?t go off topic. If your post or topic is not about Macross then it can be considered off topic and can be deleted at anytime. "

The section, "Anime or Science Fiction, Closest thing here to 'Off Topic' from Megazone to Star Trek" is best for this :)