Gloss clear vs flat clear as a sealer for paint.

David Hingtgen

Iowa (the state) warmed up this week, so I can continue working on Iowa (the ship). As the camoflage on the hull is done, but the hull bottom isn't, I am taking every possible precaution is masking off the camoflage pattern.

Anyways, I've got it masked, and have sprayed on a heavy, thick coat of "dull cote" (Testor's lacquer). However, I'm wondering if the gloss clear would be better to seal the tape? Or would that possibly mess up the color(s) to go over the clear? (Flat black and flat brown primer). Never tried spraying flat black over clear gloss.

Anyone have experience with using various clear-coats to seal masking tape?

I've never used Testors products but generally matt varnishes are just gloss varnishes with a very fine powder added to give the flat finish. I would expect the gloss to work better as a sealant as the "impurity" of the matt varnishes tends to make them less robust. I normally apply a gloss coat over the whole model before applying decals since they adhere better to the smoother surface, then another gloss coat to seal the decals and finally a matt coat over the top to provide the dull finish.

Flaking off? That is strange, must be a property of the paint, as I say I've never used that brand. I mainly use Tamiya acrylics, Humbrol enamels and acrylics and occassionaly the Games workshop acrylics and while gloss finishes are certainly harder to cover when painting with a brush, I've never had any problems when spraying and I've never known paint to peel when applied over gloss finishes.

I hope you're able to sort it out ok.

Smooth glossy finishes are definitely better for masking. The tape sticks better and peels off better. I find that the matte or flat paint has so many tiny microscopic pours that the tape doesn't seem to stick as well and that there is more opportunity for the paint to seep in under the edge softening up the masked line. If I understand what you mean by a good sealer.

More like, if you've already masked it, and want to seal the edges of the tape, what should you spray over it? Might try the krylon crystal clear.

Other question: what's the absolute "best adhering" stuff there is? I need something that'll stick to my "repels everything" gloss clear... Krylon primer? Some sort of clear? Tamiya something?