Requesting Help!

GutsAndCasca

I'm working at removing paint from some 1/48 parts so I can finally get my MG2 custom going. (pain in the A--!!)

For paneling on the strike armor, I think I'm going to have no choice but to use a wash. I guess that's pretty easy to make, just like, ..... 1/4 parts ink to water? How to make the perfect wash would be appreciated.

Also, how would I apply it without making a mess?

What should I use?

Should I put the wash on right after it's airbrushed, or wait and let the future finish cote set first?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm a guy who needs answers. :D

Thanks to anyone who can help an mworld brotha' out!

--Bri

The the future dry and cure for at the very least 48 hours before you even think about applying a wash. If you are applying a wash over future, then I do not recommend you use any acrylic based paint for your wash solution. Use an oil based paint such as an enamel paint. Typical thinning ratio for a wash is about 90-95% thinner to 5-10 % paint. Apply the wash with a fine tip paint brush, 0, 00, 000 sizes are perfect. Just dip the brush into the wash solution and lightly dip it into one of the panel lines. If you sprayed your future correctly, and allowed for it to cure enough, the wash solution will flow down the line very easily. Cleanup is easy, take a paper towel dip it into some enamel thinner then lightly wipe areas where you do not want paint.

If you use an ink wash it always pays to put something in the water to break the surface tension. A few drops of detergent or better still the stuff used in dishwashers to stop streaking. It allows the wash to flow and not ball up on the surface.

1:4 is probably a bit strong. You'd be surprised at how little ink you need to do the job. Just start with an old paint pot with water and add a few drops of ink at a time.