For God's Sake People, The Davinci Code Is Fiction

Ok, I can understand History Channel trying to cash in on the whole Da Vinci code craze, but I've already heard wayyyy to much pseudohistory being bandied about as "fact" lately that I can't contain it. I'm not some Catholic raging against some perceived heresy, just a who's read a book or two that weren't movie tie-ins. For those who haven't been following along, or who just believe anything that the media bukakes onto you, here's a quick primer:

1) Priory of Sion - BUNK!

There is no, nor has there ever been, a secret society known as the "Priory of Sion." What did exist was a couple of Frenchmen who created a fake secret society as a hoax, back int he mid 1950's. Unfortunately, they were't exposed until after the publication of Holy Blood, Holy Grail and even though they freely admit it today the media still dredges the name of the Priory up as part of the whole Da Vinci code hype extravanganza. It's just reason #8563 why you shouldn't trust the french.

2) The Holy Grail as Jesus' bloodline

Few pieces of folklore are as misunderstood as the so-called Holy Grail. The long and the short of it is that the grail has no place in fact, and was itself a late addition to Arthurian legend. It was a bastardization of earlier Celtic folklore and pagan rituals, run through a Jesus-filter to fit into a morality tale. There is no mention of it in early Christian tradition. Period.

3) Knights Templar were killed to destroy the secret they guarded

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that they were so very rich that they rivaled the Roman Church itself. They aren't credited for being the first "multinational bank" for nothing. As for their supposed secret (the sangeraal codex) see above.

4) But Dan Brown says that his book has some basis in fact

Like the fact that much of his research has been debunked, as much as 25 years earlier (see The Priory, above)? Look, he's selling his book. Buy the book and enjoy it if you wish, but don't go believing everything you read. By the way, Michael Crighton used the same technique of including fictional appendicies to his early books to help sell the "reality" of the story.

More as I get angrier....

2) The Holy Grail as Jesus' bloodline

Few pieces of folklore are as misunderstood as the so-called Holy Grail. The long and the short of it is that the grail has no place in fact, and was itself a late addition to Arthurian legend. It was a bastardization of earlier Celtic folklore and pagan rituals, run through a Jesus-filter to fit into a morality tale. There is no mention of it in early Christian tradition. Period.

Are you attempting to imply that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade wasn't real?

But a fantastic piece of fiction it is, regardless of what Brown or anyone else says. I don't believe a lick of it (this from someone who has his eye on becoming a mason someday if God wills it). But it's fun as hell to read about and enjoy! (I liked both DaVinci and the prequel, Angels and Demons).

Looking forward to the movie in a couple of weeks!

For as much as I want to talk about this subject, and as much as this IS a movie that is FICTION it has at it's core religious material. Sadly the topic is right on the line of being religious itself and as such I think it needs to get shut down before a fight between the two sides breaks out.

This is not a slight against you, Bsu... I just think this topic is too close to the line to be "civil" here. If another higher ranking mod sees otherwise, feel free to reopen it.