Brain Powered?

Boxer

Well, seeing all the glorious mecha involved in the crossover orgasm that is Another Century's Episode, I noticed Brain powered was mentioned again and considered checking it out.

I wanted to ask if anyone else here has seen it, and what they thought of it. Most reveiwers seem to think it's pointless, but I wonder if it's still worth giving a try (after all, I think some might say Orguss was pointless, but It's still my #1 fav anime...)

Well, seeing all the glorious mecha involved in the crossover orgasm that is Another Century's Episode, I noticed Brain powered was mentioned again and considered checking it out.

I wanted to ask if anyone else here has seen it, and what they thought of it. Most reveiwers seem to think it's pointless, but I wonder if it's still worth giving a try (after all, I think some might say Orguss was pointless, but It's still my #1 fav anime...)

387694[/snapback]

Heh Brain Powered is a Mess. I'm sure there's people here who could give you a much better rundown of what's wrong with the series than me, but put simply it's just too complicated, with little to no explaination of who anyone is, why they're fighting who they are and what that has to do with the story as a whole. Granted i only watched about the first 8 episodes, but i was so dismayed at how hard it was to get into, i couldn't stomach watching anymore of it... (esp. because i paid 60 dollars for the first two videos based on a postive review i read... they must have been paid off after what i witnessed). Here's a review that pretty much sums it IMO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Powered

My experience with Brain Powered is similar to Veritas's. I bought the first volume on VHS back in '98 due to a positive review I read online. Plus the series was scored by Yoko Kanno, so I figured it couldn't be that bad.

I checked out after the second episode.

Like everyone has said, it's VERY confusing. I'd like to think I'm a patient guy but if you don't have me by the second episode, you don't have me.

Having seen the whole show, I can say it's very much hit-or-miss. The series begins by throwing you into the story, and you feel like it's the middle of the series rather than the first episode. Very little about the world, characters, or stories is explained, and the ending is quite bizarre. Also, as a Tomino series, it's very heavy on "Tominoisms", even moreso than Gundam. That means you can expect lots of teenage angst directed at problems with parents. On the other hand, the series was one of Tomino's better efforts at handling romance. The romance between the two main characters slowly develops over the course of the series and doesn't feel like something that was slapped on. The series also has some fantastic music by Yoko Kanno, which is about the best thing I can say about the show. My advice: if you're going to watch it, definitely rent first rather than buy.

I found this series very good personnally: designs and music were great, story was interesting and not that challenging for my mind although a bit confusing at times. The overall concept was a bit stretched IMO (this Orphan thing being that huge it made the oceans rise looks a bit exagerated to me...), but I believe the goal of Tomino was to tell a story articulated around the characters and this part really was succesfull to me :)

On the other hand, yes, it's rather 'special' and definitively not the average, standard anime: I agree with ChrisG, watch it at your own risks :p

Thought this went unanswered....

Thanks for the feedback guys, though I doubt I can be able to see the series rented, as the local stores usually only rent out the 'popular' anime.

Chris- I don't suppose we could see reviews of Brain powered on MAHQ in the near future could we? The series does seem only to span 3-4 DVDs, can't be that long.

Thought this went unanswered....

Thanks for the feedback guys, though I doubt I can be able to see the series rented, as the local stores usually only rent out the 'popular' anime.

Chris- I don't suppose we could see reviews of Brain powered on MAHQ in the near future could we? The series does seem only to span 3-4 DVDs, can't be that long.

I always laughed at the ridiculous opening that had all the female characters nude doing random crap like jumping over volcanoes. It was like they were trying too hard to make an impression on the viewer. I remember Tomino boasting that Brain Powered would be an anime to topple Evangelion. Ha.