Original Un Spacy Characters

Vinnie

Here's the art right up front (linked to larger image)

z25496430.jpg

Left to right: Toni Lombardi, Spencer "Jersey" Reed, Maria Defreitas, Kristopf Sasaki.

And the text:

So a couple years back when I was into the 3D modeling and low budget film thing, my sister and I wrote a script for a short macross film, titled Avemaria. It was a 15 minute light-hearted story centered around the dysfunctional family life of runaway Maria Defreitas and her legal guardian Kristopf Sasaki. The two supporting characters in the film were fellow pilots Toni Lombardi and Spencer Reed. The action takes place on the planet Avemaria in the fall of 2035, far away from any of the conflict of the Delta War, and focuses on the pilots of the SVF-143 "Pukin' Dogs," one of the last few operational VF-4 squadrons.

Alas, the film project was too ambitious for me, but the story and characters were great. However, I'm thinking they might see new life in the form of a webcomic. I figure that's my style anyway that sort of "Western Artist doing webcomic emulating a quasi-manga flavor." I haven't been practicing long and have loads to improve on, but I figure running one will keep me focused, give me reason to practice, and give me an outlet to comment on what it's like being a pilot where the war just ain't that busy (as well as something to do because we're not busy.)

Advice, comments, and opinions are more than welcome. Especially if anybody knows anything about Wacom tablets and recommends something to work with other than Photoshop 7.0.

Here's the art right up front (linked to larger image)

z25496430.jpg

Left to right: Toni Lombardi, Spencer "Jersey" Reed, Maria Defreitas, Kristopf Sasaki.

And the text:

So a couple years back when I was into the 3D modeling and low budget film thing, my sister and I wrote a script for a short macross film, titled Avemaria.  It was a 15 minute light-hearted story centered around the dysfunctional family life of runaway Maria Defreitas and her legal guardian Kristopf Sasaki.  The two supporting characters in the film were fellow pilots Toni Lombardi and Spencer Reed.  The action takes place on the planet Avemaria in the fall of 2035,  far away from any of the conflict of the Delta War, and focuses on the pilots of the SVF-143 "Pukin' Dogs," one of the last few operational VF-4 squadrons. 

Alas, the film project was too ambitious for me, but the story and characters were great.  However, I'm thinking they might see new life in the form of a webcomic.  I figure that's my style anyway that sort of "Western Artist doing webcomic emulating a quasi-manga flavor."  I haven't been practicing long and have loads to improve on, but I figure running one will keep me focused, give me reason to practice, and give me an outlet to comment on what it's like being a pilot where the war just ain't that busy (as well as something to do because we're not busy.)

Advice, comments, and opinions are more than welcome.  Especially if anybody knows anything about Wacom tablets and recommends something to work with other than Photoshop 7.0.

371582[/snapback]

looks good..... as far as the web comic idea, go for it, if your good at 3d modeling, render some images and use them in your comic if need be... it will make your comic all the more unique

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got a Wacom tablet and have been practicing on for most of the day. I'm on leave in the States so I don't have much else to do at the moment. Downloaded Alias Sketchbook Pro 2.0 and am loving how it emulates real art tools.

Anyway, here's the product of today's efforts:

b26966189.jpg

She'll be one of the two love interests for the CO of the Pukin' Dogs, but I haven't decided which yet.

More to come...

I'd practice a bit on the placement of the iris'. All the characters look cross-eyed.

Good pose, though.

375409[/snapback]

Tried something different with the irises How's this?

z27124984.jpg

(Click to zoom)

that looks great..... but hows your coloring skills?

I'm not sure about my coloring skills. About all I've ever done is sketch, and I'm having a heck of a time 'inking' my drawings (which I assume is the next logical step.) If anyone's got any tips, techniques, or tutorials, I'm all ears.

• 2 weeks later...
looks good..... as far as the web comic idea, go for it, if your good at 3d modeling, render some images and use them in your comic if need be... it will make your comic all the more unique

371589[/snapback]

b28445483.jpg

Well, you suggested it. Then I read Ken Akamatsu's article in the back of Negima Vol 8 talking about how he uses Lightwave 3d to do most of the backgrounds for the manga. I thought, heck, let me grab the latest version of Max and see what it can do. Pulled out the old VF-4 from the archives, slapped on the ink 'n paint shader and bam!

The model is missing some parts, and it doesn't have any of the tweaks I need to make it look right, but I think I might be on to something here...

EDIT: Swapped Image URLs, should display in the forum now.

Edited by Vinnie