Underworld: Evolution

Mr March

Well, generally the public's expectations of their entertainment have gone up over the years, which is good, in that it could be said the public has gotten more intelligent over the years. However, it would also seem then that some people have forgotten how to just have fun, whether it's "dumb" or otherwise...

Finally saw it.

*snip*

Again the part that confounded me was the rules for the Underworld universe. Apparently bullets will kill you if you get shot enough. How much is enough is never stated. Edged weapons fare much better so why isn't everyone carrying around a battle axe along with the obligatory submachine guns?

367222[/snapback]

I actually didn't really dwell on this plot hole much, because so many action flicks are guilty of this very same thing. How many times have we been watch some action flick with an uber weapon that isn't really uber once it's used in a particular situation in the film (typically against the hero)? But still, it is a good point.

Haven't seen this yet, but now I think I am.

I gotta say, it's getting pretty old to read these reviews that take a movie that doesn't pretend to do anything but entertain and hold it up to some weird uber-intellectualized gold standard.

I wonder, for those film freaks out there who want every movie to be some deep philosophical intellectual masterpiece, do you guys only listen to classical music or orchestral piece? do you watch sitcoms or do you only watch Nova and masterpiece theater? Do you read the funnies or is it only the editorial page for you? It seems like such a dreary and over intellectualized world you all live in.

I say yay for schlock. I say yay to music that you'll forget about in three months, I say yay to those people who want to have a good time and can appreciate fun for what it is. Yay for movies that don't need to teach us anything, yay for books filled mostly with pictures, yay for every movie made about a waifish girl that kicks ass and shoots big guns!

367229[/snapback]

Must have hit a nerve, though to be helpful, the back button is right at your finger tips. If you honestly wanted an answer, try asking with a little tact next time.

I need a laugh. Do you have a linky for their agruements?

*snip*

367274[/snapback]

Sadly, there isn't much. I haven't been able to find any further information on the case beyond the original 2003 news report, at least nothing online anyway.

Here's a link the the original article. They also have a link to the filing documents at the end of the article.

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=10015

Enjoy :)

I need a laugh. Do you have a linky for their agruements?

*snip*

367274[/snapback]

Sadly, there isn't much. I haven't been able to find any further information on the case beyond the original 2003 news report, at least nothing online anyway.

Here's a link the the original article. They also have a link to the filing documents at the end of the article.

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=10015

Enjoy :)

367394[/snapback]

AH! Thanks.

Over 150 claims of IP & Copyright infrigment!!!

That court filing it broadline humourous and it's very clear that the lawyer and WW have try'ed to throw so much crap at the wall to both fog the issue(s) and to see if anything will stick. They have as much legal standing as a cloud of fog can support a bear.

"OMG! Underworld used the word 'coven' to describe a vampire group. WE did that years ago! SUE! SUE!" LOL Coven has been used as a term for a group for centuries!

This is ONLY about not getting a cut of Sony's pie and that's all. Yes their are similarities, but it's only about money and not IP & C.

Frankly WW should be lucky that the decendants of 1930's-70's 'tradional' monster movies don't sue their asses off for clear and blatant IP & Copyright infrigments as well as TSR, and every author(Anne Rice anyone?) who's ever written a 'monster' book. :lol:

I believe that 99% of the terms/themes in Underworld are so throughly public domain as to be Un-protectable unless it's a clear and clean cut case of IP rip-off. Having a pasty looking chick in a black leather bosea(spl) with dark hair can't break anything IP!!! :lol:

That was great! Thanks Mr. March.

*snip*

AH! Thanks.

Over 150 claims of IP & Copyright infrigment!!!

That court filing it broadline humourous and it's very clear that the lawyer and WW have try'ed to throw so much crap at the wall to both fog the issue(s) and to see if anything will stick. They have as much legal standing as a cloud of fog can support a bear.

"OMG! Underworld used the word 'coven' to describe a vampire group. WE did that years ago! SUE! SUE!" LOL Coven has been used as a term for a group for centuries!

This is ONLY about not getting a cut of Sony's pie and that's all. Yes their are similarities, but it's only about money and not IP & C.

Frankly WW should be lucky that the decendants of 1930's-70's 'tradional' monster movies don't sue their asses off for clear and blatant IP & Copyright infrigments as well as TSR, and every author(Anne Rice anyone?) who's ever written a 'monster' book.  :lol:

I believe that 99% of the terms/themes in Underworld are so throughly public domain as to be Un-protectable unless it's a clear and clean cut case of IP rip-off. Having a pasty looking chick in a black leather bosea(spl) with dark hair can't break anything IP!!! :lol:

That was great! Thanks Mr. March.

367471[/snapback]

That was pretty much my reaction. The legal assault is quite impressive, but I thought that many of the items listed bring into question the derivation of the concepts that WW itself has used for its products. I mean, vampires and werewolves within the realm of fantasy are about as generic as the words federation and starship in science fiction. Granted, my example is a non-specific comparison, but the analogy is sound.

From what I read of the filed documents, WW is opening up debate on all kinds of issues. Perhaps the strategy is to capitalize upon the legal communities ignorance of fringe hobbies like sci-fi and fantasy in the hope it will lend credibility to an otherwise vague arguement.

I would like to know more about what has happened to date, though after 2+ years, it sounds as if the case has died.

Edited by Mr March