DragonQuest VIII

Eternal_D

Wow, what an improvement over the old version of "all you see is the enemies" type battles. This game is pretty sweet thus far. I'm playing the Japanese version right now so have no idea what the story is, but damn, the graphics, the item making, the battle system all get thumbs up!

I've logged 10 hours over 3 days already...anybody else playing this? I'm going to get the US release for sure, so I at least know what the story is really about, no making stuff up with my half-aszed Japanese.

I have been seeing commercials for this game lately it looks awesome, i used to love this series years agoand have not had a chance to play any of the new ones. it is nice to see a really good US release for one.

chris

i liked 6, it introduced a lot of new attack moves etc.

7 was ok...added 3d maps and story line was decent, had you going back in time picking up pieces of stone maps, setting them up in a room to make them reappear in the present.

they remade 5 on the PS2 but only in japan, don't know if they're gonna release in the US...tho I think they should...so I can buy it and know the real story again lol.

on another note tho, I just went through my friends DQ8 save file...90+ hours! but the final moves kinda suck. and no more monster friendlies it seems.

I have it on preorder somewhere.

One thing I like about it is that the cel-shading is done by Level 5, who did the cel shading for Dark Cloud 2, which is well done (I'm playing through it right now, 50+ hours and I'm still on the third chapter, damn spehda and fishing). I'm hoping the animation is done as well as it is in that game.

Oh, and it comes with FFXII demo too - sweet.

i liked 6, it introduced a lot of new attack moves etc.

7 was ok...added 3d maps and story line was decent, had you going back in time picking up pieces of stone maps, setting them up in a room to make them reappear in the present.

they remade 5 on the PS2 but only in japan, don't know if they're gonna release in the US...tho I think they should...so I can buy it and know the real story again lol.

on another note tho, I just went through my friends DQ8 save file...90+ hours!  but the final moves kinda suck.  and no more monster friendlies it seems.

343982[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...

i got the american ver of DQ8...man, why'd they change so much? it was a waste having the stupid voice overs...they sound retarded. and for some reason it seems to lag like when loading a fight and ending a fight. the added pictures and menus are kinda lame too, I like DQ series because they try to keep everything the same look throughout and they even took out the stepping sounds when you enter a town/going up and down levels.

also FF12 demo was short, doesn't really show much. graphics are like 10 but the new battle system looks interesting.

i got the american ver of DQ8...man, why'd they change so much?  it was a waste having the stupid voice overs...they sound retarded.  and for some reason it seems to lag like when loading a fight and ending a fight.  the added pictures and menus are kinda lame too, I like DQ series because they try to keep everything the same look throughout and they even took out the stepping sounds when you enter a town/going up and down levels.

also FF12 demo was short, doesn't really show much.  graphics are like 10 but the new battle system looks interesting.

346839[/snapback]

Those seem like minor changes except for the voice overs - did they remove anything major, like dialogue wise? I tend to find myself skipping over the voice dialog most of the time, since I've usually read the dialogue text by the time they're on the third word. My brother enjoys guessing what sterotypical voice they'll use for each character.

FF12 Demo was short, and kind of sucked hard. It didn't seem all that great, and I don't like the whole only controlling one character at a time thing. Graphics are the same thing as in 10 but the colors seem a bit more washed out for realism.