airbrush/paint question

syusukee

hi, i was wondering, how do you guys thin tamiya acrylic paints with isopropyl alcohol?  as in, what do you use to measure the amount/ratio..

thanks

329628[/snapback]

I use Tamiya airbrush thinner. It smells exactly like Isopropyl alcohol...

Anyway, it sort of depends on the color and type of Tamiya paint I'm using. Thicker glossy colors naturally need more thinner, about 50/50 ratio. Thinner military flats, i'll do 30/70 paint to thinner. Some colors, like Gun Metal (glossy metalic) I'll use only a few drops of thinner, maybe a 15:85 thinner/paint ratio.

hi, i was wondering, how do you guys thin tamiya acrylic paints with isopropyl alcohol?  as in, what do you use to measure the amount/ratio..

329628[/snapback]

I've got a surplus store by my house and they sell these plastic syringes which work really well for measuring paint and thinner.

Hmm, I've never measured, you kind of do it by eye - since each colour and finish is a little different, but 50:50 is a good minimum rule of thumb. Flat paints tend to need more thinning since it dries up in the airbrush more easily, and glossy paints needs less since its coverage isn't as good as flat paints. Additionally, you don't want to thin metallics too much or the metal particles will break up. For white paint, thin it to the consistency of skim milk, that should flow well.

I'd spend the few extra dollars to get the Tamiya thinner - get the bigger bottle and it will last you a while (as long as you don't use it to clean the airbrush with). The tamiya thinner has a few flow additives in it that also allows it to thin clear colours better.

Save the cheap stuff like windex and alchohol for cleaning out your brushes and airbrush (but spend the money on what touches your model - afterall, how do you put a price on all the effort and time you've put into the model)

Thin white to the consistency of milk?

I must be doing something wrong, when I thin my Tamiya flat white out too much (near 50:50) it begins to sputter.

330272[/snapback]

Sputtering is not indicative of paint consistency, its a pressure problem (or misaligned needle/nozzle assembly). In fact, airbrushes are happiest spray extremely thin inks, the consistency of alcohol. But one must balance the viscosity of the medium with its ability to cover. What PSI are you spraying at? For metallics (Alcad) I spray at 15psi, for Tamiya Acrylics, I spray at 20-25psi.

hello I'm going to do a custom on My CF whenever I make a payment on it. I just scouted for tamiya supplies I need to customize my VF-1A Cannonfodder, but one thing I need to know do I have to apply a base color before I paint it with the colors I want to paint my CF with and should I use a clear coat after painting as a sealant?

There aren't straight rules for thinning and psi pressure, use others modelers tips as starting point, after some times that you airbrush you will understand a lot better how much you should thin it or what pressure use. I always check the paint thickness in the bottle (and test how much it covers the first time I use it) and then think about how much I should thin it, then check again the thickness in the cup with a toothpick.

Always test it on a piece of paper before paint something!

hello I'm going to do a custom on My CF whenever I make a payment on it. I just scouted for tamiya supplies I need to customize my VF-1A Cannonfodder, but one thing I need to know do I have to apply a base color before I paint it with the colors I want to paint my CF with and should I use a clear coat after painting as a sealant?

330401[/snapback]

If are going to paint it with acrylics its better use a primer first, a clear coat help to protect the paintjob.

However, I suggest to use Mr.color lacquers that are a lot tougher.

Edited by Ido