The passing of a generation...

Saw a news clip on the passing of Anne Bancroft today at age 73. The wife of comedian/director Mel Brooks, she starred in three of his films "Silent Movie," "To Be or Not to Be," and "Dracula: Dead and Loving It," among many other award winning plays and film credits. She's probably still best remembered as Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me, aren't you?"

Just recently on May 18, there was the passing of Frank Gorshin, who gave us the original Riddler on the Batman TV series of the late 60's. I still remember watching re-runs of those shows as a kid. I'll always think Gorshin's Riddler ownz Jim Carrey's crap-tastic version--let's face it; Carrey's done the same schtick since Ace Ventura.

Not long before that, there was news of the passing of Thurl Ravenscroft, who's otherwise known by his trademark growl: "They're Grrrreat!" He gave--numerous--generations of kids the voice of Tony the Tiger (for over 50 years!) since 1951.

Ahh, time marches mercilessly on. Faces and names we grow up with, the people our parents and our grandparents talked about and were entertained by, it all fades into history. Bummer...

Gorshin was also the alien from the great Star Trek episode that played social commentary on racial divisions by having the last two remaining members of a species trying to kill each other because one was black on the left face and white on the right, while the other was black on the right and white on the left.