What kind of indoor lighting is best for toys?

shiyao

Just wondering,

Will incandescent/neon/other forms of indoor lighting cause toys to yellow? Or is it only sunlight?

Also, out of the alternatives (incandescent, neon, halogen etc) - which one is the best for toys?

I did a search for "lighting" and nothing came up.

Just wondering,

Will incandescent/neon/other forms of indoor lighting cause toys to yellow? Or is it only sunlight?

Also, out of the alternatives (incandescent, neon, halogen etc) - which one is the best for toys?

plastics are generally UV unstable, so anything giving off UV rays is bad. Some forms of ABS and Polypro have adatives that help keep it longer, but UV is still bad

You might try asking or researching about displaying art since UV protection is an issue there as well. Incandescent, fluorescent, and halogen bulbs can all be sources of UV light (yes, there are incandescent "black lights") so you can't just assume that one type is better than another. It might be best to consider the problem in terms of "keeping UV off the object" than merely using a safe source. E.g., the object could be placed behind protective glass, or the light source could have a filter on it.

hmmm.

given that ALL light sources - halogen, incandescent, flourescent - give off UV rays, we can still ask: "which one gives off the least?"

does anyone know?

I don't. What I typed above was based on some quick Google searches, and what I gleaned from those was that the difference could vary from bulb to bulb more than from type to type.

The searches I used were things like

UV incandescent

UV halogen

etc.

Also you could try

art lighting UV

Which is how I came across this link: http://www.pegasusassociates.com/products/...s/UVfilter.html

Just wondering,

Just wonderin' too. Why do you need indoor lighting? Use the natural light of day. Is it because your collection is in a dimly lit room or do you like to look at your collection at night :huh: ?

Just wondering,

Just wonderin' too. Why do you need indoor lighting? Use the natural light of day. Is it because your collection is in a dimly lit room or do you like to look at your collection at night :huh: ?

light from the sun is ussually most harmful

thanks pfunk.

i guess the UV from incandescent/flourescent/halogen lamps can't be all that bad - after all, we don't wear sunscreen at home. :o