OK, now I can die !

I just received an icon of my younger days, the Aoshima TB2. This is not as much a review as a simple need to express my total awe and excitement in finaly being able to fly this thing around the room.

I got the Konami container vehicules from a local shop as I just wasn't content with having only the mole that is supplied with the TB2. This thing is really heavy and made mostly (80%) in diecast, the rest is made of nicely paint great quality ABS.

I am waiting to get the charawheels container vehicule sets from bandai and the TB1 from Aoshima too as I just can't get enough after what I just got here.

One of the things that really touches me from getting this toy and having my son watch the show with me is how much CG animation has now undervalued the artistic qualities of the old days Sci-Fi animators and modelists such as Gerry Anderson, the creator of the show in the 60's. The only thing now that my son sees when he watches the show is that the puppets don't look natural, the ships look weird etc...

In the early 70s when I was old enough to watch and understand the show, the Thunderbirds was pure magic. Sure the caracters looked weird but the vehicules were way ahead of their time and looked so cool and real. My parents had just got a spanking new color tv and I finaly saw the real color of the TB2. These moments were magic. I finaly have, after 32 years of fandom, a little part of it in my display room.

Just tought I'd share a little nostalgia.

BTW, I recommend this toy to any fan of the Thunderbirds show, it is magnificient.

cheers

Erick

post-26-1110240387_thumb.jpg

Dude I definitely agree. I mean one of my friends was complainig about CG in star wars sucking and the original models and stuff being tons better. I think the CG lacks the liveliness of the originals, but that isnt to say the CG sucks, IMHO it does a good job and I know where he is coming from.

As an illustrator I cringe at how a lot of people learn digital painting without learning it by hand first. Disgusting. Same with animators who cannot animate by hand.

THe old thunderbirds, had a magical aura to it. The new one lacked that. That toy looks pretty cool though~!! I am glad you are able to relive your childhood. Hopefully your child wil one day grow to apreciate the many advancements made before the dawn of the personal computer.

Montarvillois: How big is this TB2 compared to a 1/48 Valk?

It's 15 inches long. There's a Takara version in 1/144 scale comming out in april that's going to be 22 inches long with full action (electricaly retractable elevator legs) and remote controlled vehicules. While this new one will rock, it will lack the die cast content of the Aoshima verion.

• 4 years later...

Is it any wonder that Gerry Anderson is still a great a source of design inspiration around the world today? Thunderbirds, Space 1999, UFO: amazing works!

Is it any wonder that Gerry Anderson is still a great a source of design inspiration around the world today? Thunderbirds, Space 1999, UFO: amazing works!

True, but its kind of annoying how Gerry Anderson gets all the credit. He always had a great team working around him and he must have been quite skillful to assemble them. Sylvia probably deserves some credit too.

I think that he had only one major failure and that was 1999 season Two. What a godawful mess that was. And the New Captain Scarlet was brilliant. Pity they didn't make more.

Taksraven