My 1/72 Hasegawa Battroid YF-19!

AlphaHX

I find this conversion absolutely gorgeous! Definitely worth it!!! In terms of proportions, the battroid looks perfect! This seems to prove that a "perfect variable" YF19 should be realizable... The only little detail that I do not like is the gap betheen the sternum and the "belly". Otherwise it's really great and it'll look better once painted! Congratulations to the maker of this conversion!

THANX!

I'm glad you guys like it! I thought it turned that great... well... being my first custom and all... and my 3rd or 4th model ever. <_<:p

The only little detail that I do not like is the gap betheen the sternum and the "belly"

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'll probably add a little something there like the wave YF-19 battroid.

Good job on the modification. It's posing ability is great! Are you air brushing this baby or paint it by brush?

I'll be air brushing it. It'll be my first time doing that too... :mellow:

Wish me luck. Hahah... :lol::p

By the way, Alpha, have you thought about trying to see what the battroid looks like with the Hase fighter's original wings? They might be a bit too long (and maybe drag behind :p ) however I'm curious about what it would look like...

And, once again, all my congratulations! :p

By the way, Alpha, have you thought about trying to see what the battroid looks like with the Hase fighter's original wings? They might be a bit too long (and maybe drag behind :p ) however I'm curious about what it would look like...

And, once again, all my congratulations! :p

I'll try them out when I get the time. I have finals this week so when I get teh chance, Ill show you how it looks. The wings arent exactly too long... but more like too fat. :blink::p

Thanx again. Im glad you're interested in my conversion. :D

Hmmm...

Those last shots are killer... I wonder tho if you could just kinda sand down and mash the nosecone in there... that gap kills me. Those pics with the Gundam model are pretty funny tho...

As for the knees.... I was thinking about this the other day.... and I had an idea, but then I forgot weather the 19 has knee guards like the VF-1 or not... that would solve your problem bc/ you could make a double jointed cowl to cover the gap when the knee is bent really far.

Hmmm...

Those last shots are killer... I wonder tho if you could just kinda sand down and mash the nosecone in there... that gap kills me. Those pics with the Gundam model are pretty funny tho...

As for the knees.... I was thinking about this the other day.... and I had an idea, but then I forgot weather the 19 has knee guards like the VF-1 or not... that would solve your problem bc/ you could make a double jointed cowl to cover the gap when the knee is bent really far.

Well actually I think that the nosecone doesn't look too long on the battroid's chest here... I mean... personally! And regarding the gap between the nosecone and the belly, the "standard" toys or garage kits by yamamoto or studio half-eye had a "part" that made the link between the nosecone and the chest more "oblique" (not annihilating the gap however) - see pic below.

Maybe that idea could be "recycled", improved into something better... (by making this part more "vertical" and articulated on the nosecone and not on the torso for example)

Actually I just had a look at the "wave" section of Macrossworld, and... yes, that is the kind of solution I would think about if I had to build something to fill the gap... Other pic on next message...

post-3-1111253515_thumb.gif

Second image: Wave's VF-19 "Blazer" valkyrie:

post-3-1111253561_thumb.gif

Edited by Skypoet

OK, I get it... :p yes, there is a gap here too, but I didn't pay that much attention to it... what I paid the most attention to, I think, is that in terms of PROPORTIONS, this custom battroid looks very good even though it was made out of parts taken from the fighter model (amazing!)... which seems to mean that th YF-19 does not need anime-magic to transform (I know'I'm repeating myself)...

As for the gap between the torso top and nosecone, well maybe SOME anime-magic is required there :p , specifically :rolleyes: ... the nosecone and the top torso do not have the same shape on the fighter (the top torso part that fits on the nose is narrower than the noe cone I think), so.... they cannot fit naturally, which is unfortunate...

But even with those ( :p very :p ) minor glitches, that battroid still is great :lol: I really mean it!... If only I had the time to build models I'd buy Hase's YF-19 and try the conversion too :)

Edited by Skypoet

Hmmm...

If youve ever seen a Hasegawa 19 kit, you'll know trying to cram the nosecone into the top part of the chest is pretty much near impossible. The only thing I can think of is to make the chest a bit thicker thus narrowing the gap. Besides that, I dont think theres much else I can do.

As for the knees, the 19 does not have a knee guard. I'm actually considering to change the whole knee thing completely. I might have a solution but I'm waiting to recieve a certain joint for it first. I'll keep you guys updated.

As for the gap that you're talking about Skypoet, I plan to add something like the wave's battroid. I just havent gotten around to it. Damn finals is sucking up all my time. So... close... to... spring... break... must... make... it... :(:p

By the way, Alpha, have you thought about trying to see what the battroid looks like with the Hase fighter's original wings? They might be a bit too long (and maybe drag behind  :p ) however I'm curious about what it would look like...

:blink:

post-3-1111522244_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

Thanks a lot for the pic! Well, aesthetically speaking it doesn't make the leg look better... maybe it will look better assembled on the battroid, it's up to you!

Thanks a lot for the pic! Well, aesthetically speaking it doesn't make the leg look better... maybe it will look better assembled on the battroid, it's up to you!

I'm pretty sure I'll stick to the Bandai wings. It looks a lot more fitting compared to the lineart. The Hase wings are just too big imo. I might beef up the Bandai wings a bit to fit more of the lineart tho. I find the wings near the top (closer to the legs) a bit skinny. Theres still a lot of tweaks here and there I have to fix up. I'll still continue with updates on this thread. I really appreciate the constructive criticisms. Any more help from anyone is welcome. I want to make this 19 as nice as possible. :D

Oh yeah, heres a comparison with the linart...

post-3-1111596726_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

I asked in my other thread but I guess I'll ask here too since I've been asked a few times if my 19 will be recasted.

Before I go off and ask if my 19 is even recastable, is there even enuf interest for this kit? You gotta remember this was my first kitbash so I cant promise perfection. Obviously, I'll try but thats no guarentee.

Edited by AlphaHX

I'd be in, but Idk how recastable it would be... i dont think you could prime it first, and you'de have to disassemble everything. maybe if you did a second one that you did not fully 'build' so you could cast it?

I was thinking of doing that too. Since I learned a lot from making the first one, I can probably make a second one without much of a hitch. But I guess thats only worth doing if people are interested in recasting it. I can also tell you what joints i used, etc.

It got around to drying so i was able to take some more pictures. Ive only made some minor changes. I changed the part above the nose like I said before, I moved the head closer up, I finally put those flap things on the shoulders, and I fixed the gap a bit below the nose.

post-3-1111963529_thumb.jpg

Looking sharo mate. Your gonan be sanding that thing until you turn 40 tho :blink: I don't envy the man that tries to put panel lines in epoxy putty.

Hahah, I know I know...

Im actually in the middle of priming it right now. As for the sanding... yeah... its gonna take awhile. Oh well... I wasnt expecting to finish this over night. Its... umm... a long term project. :mellow:

I got some panel scribers... I gotta try them out later to see how they turn out on epoxy putty.

• 4 weeks later...
Im actually in the middle of priming it right now. As for the sanding... yeah... its gonna take awhile. Oh well... I wasnt expecting to finish this over night. Its... umm... a long term project. :mellow:

I got some panel scribers... I gotta try them out later to see how they turn out on epoxy putty.

How's going with the kitbash? I have been waiting for more progress for over a month.

• 2 weeks later...

How's going with the kitbash? I have been waiting for more progress for over a month.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been extremely busy and havent even had much time to visit the boards. The last things I've done was prime the 19 and have been sanding here and there. I'll try to take pictures soon.