shenmue

arrow

No.

The first two were very expensive to make and sold like poo. In the current era of Sammy-owned SEGA frugality, it's doubtful Yu Suzuki will be able to get that much money again to make a game that won't sell.

Disapointing, because I'm a big Shenmue fan.  :(

I don't think anyone can say that with any certainty. The closest thing we have to a sequel is the Shenmue MMORPG. When and if that is released (and how well it performs) will probably determine if there will be future traditional Shenmue games.

Yu Suzuki sure had some grandiose plans with the concept for Shenmue, as I remember the interview he did with Next Gen magazine waaay back before it came out. He had in mind something like a MMORPG, but it morphed into what it is today.

I tried both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 out and never saw the appeal of the game. The game main consisted of you running around a town talking to a bunch of geezers or rude teenage girls that never knew the answers to your questions. The other part of the game consisted of you trying to track down the right person at the right time (Suzuki felt that this lent to the realism), but in reality it detracted from gameplay since you spent alot of time either waiting for night to fall, so that a person would show up so that you could get a very trivial bit of info from them. So all of the talking to random townspeople in a typical RPG that people are always complaining about is dragged out to a long process since now those people with info are not always around, and you spend a good deal of time waiting around. The gameplay consisted of a sort of Dragon's Lair approach to some events (push left when a left arrow flashes) and events where you fight ala Virtua Fighter. By the time you get any sort of development in the plot, you're already bored out of your mind from the tedious gameplay.

The funniest thing was that I ended up spending a helluva alot of my time in the town arcade just playing darts or Space Harrier instead of advancing the story. :lol: