Shin's F-14

Well the other plane to stat for Macross Zero at this time is the F-14 Tomcat, however the question abounds, is it a D or a B? Known as the F-14 A+ Kai, one would assume its a B model with as the Compendium states with modifications using Overtech from the crash of ASS-1. However the Chin Pod used is from the F-14D, so could F-14 A+ Kai mean its a D? While many may not care, being a perfectionist when it comes to my mechs when i stat them out (spend 3 years and 7 rewrites to get the VF-1 right) i would to think what many think this Tomcat is. There isn't a lot of difference, just that the D brought in some new stuff and replaced many stuff that will change some stats. So what are the opinions here? I personally think it might be a B model with some D upgrades and some Overtech thrown in. On this subject anyone know the range on the IR Seeker and what it is used for? Arigato for any help provided.

----Cruel Angel's Thesis

actually, as a F-14A+ Kai, that simply means it's a custom B... which pretty much leaves the market wide open for any differences. It could be that TCS/IR pods were manufactured for all remaining non-D tomcats to bring them up to spec along with new engines (the overtech engines), not to mention any number of other possible avionics/radar enhancements. Unfortunately, other than the fact that overtechnology was applied to these tomcats, details don't exist :( so nobody knows to what extent they were modified.

I won't go into explaining the TCS/IR pod here, but check Torsten Anfts site for specs on all of the various chinpods used by the tomcat.

Edited by Skull Leader

If I had to guess, I'd say its an F-14B with a new chinpod (from the F-14D) and completely new ECM gear (which is why it has ECM bumps unlike any F-14 variant out there).

But it matches the Fujimi kit so well, ECM bumps and all...

All in all, same as what Nied said: An F-14B with new chinpod and ECM antenna arrangement. Still, it's missing the ALR-45 antennas, which all B's and D's and most A's have. They go together with the extreme aft one next to the fuel dump pipe (which Shin's does have). If an F-14 has the ECM bump on the boat-tail, then it has the one right ahead of the vanes as well.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Hmm, a 14B with the 14D chinpod, interesting. Now about the ECM eqip, i have no kit to figure out whats on and whats not. David can you give me a rundown of what ECM is on this bird? Well i will follow what a 14B has and go off that, with the aforementioned changes. If there are any other changes i should make let me know, you are the expert here David and i bow to you superior knowledge. This is your kung fu and it is strong.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

I'll start with a list of every ECM "bump" possible on an F-14.

Front to back:

1. On the left nosegear door. Rather flat, but large.

2. Directly ahead of the glove vanes themselves (or where they'd be), on each side.

3. Underneath the gloves, but still near the vane itself. On each side of the plane.

4. Similar to above, but a bit more inboard, a bit more aft, and a bit larger, again on each side.

#3 and #4 always go together, thus an F-14 either has all 4, or none.

5. Starboard v.stab, very tiny, on the very rear tip of the top of the fin--just below the red light.

6. Very extreme rear of the boattail/beavertail, next to the fuel dump pipe.

Now, a late F-14A and all F-14B's have all of these except #5. An F-14D has all except 3 and 4. Early A's have none, mid A's have 2 and 6 or: 2,3,4, and 6. 2 and 6 are the most common, anything from 1980+ will have them.

Shin however, has only 4 and 6. 2 ALWAYS occurs with 6, in every one I've ever found. He has an impossible mix, but it matches what Fujimi would have you do to their F-14D kits (asides from #2, which Shin also doesn't have).

Also, Shin's plane has the same problem as the F-14's in Ace Combat 5--no gun vents. There's 3 types on the F-14, but Shin doesn't seem to have any.

Finally--Shin's engine fairings are too short. (Or the burner duct is too long, but I suspect the former). It's like it has the B/D shape but is too small---it doesn't extend all the way aft to the nozzle itself. Now, B/D ones don't TOUCH the nozzle, but they get very, very close. Shin's has a noticeable gap of black between the rear of the fairing and the nozzles.

Finally--Shin's engine fairings are too short. (Or the burner duct is too long, but I suspect the former). It's like it has the B/D shape but is too small---it doesn't extend all the way aft to the nozzle itself. Now, B/D ones don't TOUCH the nozzle, but they get very, very close. Shin's has a noticeable gap of black between the rear of the fairing and the nozzles.

could it be because of the overtech?