Yamato SDF-1

sleddogg83

What about a 15-18 inch SDF1? That way, it's bigger then a 1/48, but still within reasonable price range, yeah? How big would a SDF1 have to be to in-scale with the KT Kaiyodo figs, out of curiousity?

Which figs are those?

Anyway, to get the length of a movie-style Macross scale model, take 1200 and divide it by the scale. Result is in meters. E.g., the K&M gashapon are around 1/200, so a scale Macross would be 6 meters long. :o Even the ancient crappy 1/320 Takatoku models would require a 3.75 m Macross to be in scale.

A 3" character figure is about about 1/24 scale...the Macross would be about the length of two tractor-trailers.

I think I'd like bandai to make one, @1/1700 scale...

That'll teach those Gundam ships who's boss...  :p

Agreed!

And Damn, would that look kick ass on the top of my collection shelf.

He'd be like the quantum particle cannon toting Zues of the toy pantheon.

With MPC 'Prime' and The VB6 Konig as his right hand bots, and my beloved

Strike-LV 1/48 in 'gerwalk' as his 'left hand'. 'Twould be GLORIOUS!

-Ahem

Yeah I like many would shell out $200 for something that sweet.

Edited by Doctor Paragon

A 1/48 scale VF-1 Valkyrie measures about a foot tall (12 inches) in battriod mode and a quarter of a foot in fighter mode. An 1/48 scale SDF-1 Macross toy would probaly be two feet tall in stormattacker mode and two and three quarters of a foot in ship mode. I say it's best to place it on top of your bookshelf. :D

Umm...Hornet? You don't actually mean 1/48 SDF do ya? Cuz....well, we've all been bitching at each other for a while about that...

2 feet...might be to big. Fine for hollow Jumbo Machinders, but at 2 feet that'd be way to pricey, and the fact that Yamato loves oversized boxes would make the shipping insane, if not impossible. It's like when I got the DX Black Gourai-Senpuujin, and it was only 189. But the shipoing was around $100...

And the SOC line is bad for macross, since SOC is for toys that were originally solid diecast (that's why it's soul of Chogokin ;) ) and Valks were mostly plastic. Also, bandai isn't very good with modern valks...banpresto fighter, anyone? Yamato would do a good job, although most likely to overprice it. Perhaps a new company is in order...

Edited by Fugly

Umm...Hornet? You don't actually mean 1/48 SDF do ya? Cuz....well, we've all been bitching at each other for a while about that...

2 feet...might be to big. Fine for hollow Jumbo Machinders, but at 2 feet that'd be way to pricey, and the fact that Yamato loves oversized boxes would make the shipping insane, if not impossible. It's like when I got the DX Black Gourai-Senpuujin, and it was only 189. But the shipoing was around $100...

And the SOC line is bad for macross, since SOC is for toys that were originally solid diecast (that's why it's soul of Chogokin ;) ) and Valks were mostly plastic. Also, bandai isn't very good with modern valks...banpresto fighter, anyone? Yamato would do a good job, although most likely to overprice it. Perhaps a new company is in order...

I like your input on my little theory on what size it would it was just a guess or hypothiseus call it what you like. But I still like to have it no matter what size it is as long it's big enough and well detailed to the line art, and the less expessive to enjoy. The Bandai/Matchbox version I got longago when I knew Macross as Robotech wasn't that good in detail and design. You know I still got it.

Best would be a MasterGrade-resque model kit. Will be quite a bit cheaper than a fully assembled toy of the same quality, probably lighter (= less shipping costs) and for ppl who don't have much modelling skills, it'll already be moulded in the correct colors. :lol:

So, I assume that there has been no announcement as far as a Yamato SDF Toy. Has anyone heard anything one way or the other? A year or two ago, there had been some sort of semi-formal announcement or perhaps it was a dinner discussion Graham had with a connection, but I thought the word was that Yamato was actively recruiting a sculptor / Sculptors to make a scale SDF toy.

Word of a Yamato SDF-1 came up during the infamous "Emiko Incident." For those who aren't familiar, one of our former members claimed to have the inside scoop on Yamato through some soft of friendship she had with one of their employees.

Anyways, around the summer of 2003, she claimed that Yamato had begun to examine the feasibility of an SDF-1 toy and were looking for sculptors. Now, the thing to keep in mind is that during this time, Yamato had a CEO who had a vested interest in their Macross license. However, a new CEO is now leading the company and, coincidentally, we've all noticed the slowdown in Macross toy releases. With the new CEO's diminished interest in Macross, combined with the fact that Yamato can't milk the SDF-1 with variants (DYRL vs TV: it's more than a mere arm swap), things aren't looking good for the SDF-1.

I just hope that the positive sales of the 1/48 Roy and 1/100 Konig Monster have demonstrated to Yamato that there is a market for large transforming Macross toys. 1/48 Macross Plus mecha anyone?!?! :ph34r:

I thought Graham posted a loooooonnnngggg time ago that Yamato was going to save the Macross itself as the honor of being the last Macross toy that they do under license from Big West. I think he said this all the way back to 2002 or even 2001.

Considering all the Macross toys of the last 5 years (including Toynami's stuff), it's been very disappointing that the SDF-1 Macross has not got a transforming toy to its name. :( When Graham and Shawn did their "unofficial" survey for Yamato to gauge what Macross World members wanted for future Macross releases, the SDF-1 was like the number 2 over all choice.

Sounds pretty cool, even though I'd love to see/buy two of these fine specimens of sculpture I'd still like to see (even though it would be a slim possibility for an official release) the armored vf-11c. I'd almost prefer the rellease of that one to the current soon to be released 1/48 GBP armor. The Macross being reserved for the last toy would be a fitting coup de-<whatever goes here>- to finish up the series, it would also let me know when to give my wallet a vacation ;) .

But not worth $199 IMO. 

ha.....I know. but it may serve as 'inspiration' to Yamato's designer? ;);)

Somehow I feel someone here in the forum (not just Yamato's staff) knows what's going on but not talking about it, for confidentiality reason perhaps...... ;);)

but for one I don't mind waiting THE Macross to be the last piece as an exclamation mark to the whole series of release ( as long as it's done right ! :lol: )

I thought Graham posted a loooooonnnngggg time ago that Yamato was going to save the Macross itself as the honor of being the last Macross toy that they do under license from Big West. I think he said this all the way back to 2002 or even 2001.

Considering all the Macross toys of the last 5 years (including Toynami's stuff), it's been very disappointing that the SDF-1 Macross has not got a transforming toy to its name. :( When Graham and Shawn did their "unofficial" survey for Yamato to gauge what Macross World members wanted for future Macross releases, the SDF-1 was like the number 2 over all choice.

I assume they swtiched priorities and milking other licenses. They milked macross for all it was worth. who knew we would see THAT many releases for the 1/60 line? Almost every variation of the VF-1 in the show aside from funky chinese, MAX/kakizaki VF-1A, and angel birds made it into the 1.60 line. Aside from the 6 macross plus releases( I included the VF19A since its just a repaint) and a bunch of other stuff. I assume the macross toys from yamato were hitting major saturation in japan to the point where yamato said"okay our job is done" and moved onto other things. They are a small company and gotta make money.

I assume an SDF-1, the YF19FP and a macross zero PV series of toys will eventually come out from them. But it will take time. A time when macross basically goes dry in japan for a long ass time and nostalgia buffs start craving it again. This is essentially what happened a few years back when the macross plus license for toycom was announced and such. Yamato IMHO is pretty damn smart. They most likely outsold bandai when for over 10 years most macross fans CRAVED for the day bandai would reissue their valks. But on the day they did, it was too late since the small ass company named yamato pretty much got to the fans first with a more detailed, modernized, aesthetically pleasing product, which in japan detail and aesthetics is all the rave. BUT. Yamato stopped making macross product so as to not end up LIKE bandai. Pretty smart move on their part.

I just think for now it is a waiting game. I want a VF-0 more than anything else, but it does surprise me that yamato even took obscure mecha like the koenig monster of the SDF-1.

Heck they could have had 2 releases right there~~ REgular TV SDF, and ARMD armed DYRL SDF-1!!!