Yamato 1/60 question

Hiriyu

I've just received my first 1/60 Valkrie, a "Cannon Fodder" VF-1A by Yamato. My first impressions of it are good overall, though my only point of comparison is with the old 1/55s from the early '80s. In terms of appearance and posability (though maybe not durability), this Yam kicks some butt.

My question, however, is this: What are the hinged panels below the knees for? I am referring to the pieces on the lower leg assembly which house the translucent green and red 'nav lights'. These can open and swing upward nearly 180 degrees. I thought that perhaps they were some sort of primitive 'kneecap', but they certainly don't seem to improve appearance when deployed, not to mention that the legs already have the 'simulated kneecap' detailed into the middle leg section. If you look in the Yamato manual, you can see these open on the 'parts' page, but no mention or illustration of them in use (or so far as I can tell, since I don't speak or read Japanese).

Anyone know what these are for?