Need to Know: Ideon

DARKWIND

I was just zipping around the net and found a new figure for it from Yamato. . .

But the sad thing is while living here in Japan I have only seen one episode of it . . .

The Final Episode where everyone dies and goes on to the big pearly gates. . .

To me it looked like it was kind of a tear jerker :(. . .

Cause as in most anime when someone bites the big one it is for the good of all. . .

But the whole damn thing is kind of anti-climactic. . .

Maybe cause I didn't see the whole thing I'm missing "all the heavnry grory". . . :D

Could someone here Help me "not concentrate on the finger" (lol) :rolleyes:

Sorry thinking about another flick at the moment. . . :lol::D:lol:

But seriously can ya help a brother out???

Edited by DARKWIND

Thanks for the help anyway Syngyne, ;) . . .

Any one else care to try to take a crack at it???

I really wish this would be fansubbed or licensed by animeigo.

Well, the "next best thing" to that happened a while ago, when a HK DVD set of Space Runaway Ideon Part 1 was released, containing episodes 1-19 with English (and Chinese, obviously!) subtitles.

Unfortunately, since that release, the HK DVD rippers are unable or unwilling to touch any 70s or 80s anime series anymore, and Part 1 of Ideon was all we got, with the rest of the episodes in limbo (for those who don't understand raw Japanese).

It might be possible to track down some Part 1 sets for a very cheap price, since it's only half of the series, with the rest unavailable in that format.

Doryu2025 had this to say

Well, the "next best thing" to that happened a while ago, when a HK DVD set of Space Runaway Ideon Part 1 was released, containing episodes 1-19 with English (and Chinese, obviously!) subtitles.

Unfortunately, since that release, the HK DVD rippers are unable or unwilling to touch any 70s or 80s anime series anymore, and Part 1 of Ideon was all we got, with the rest of the episodes in limbo (for those who don't understand raw Japanese).

It might be possible to track down some Part 1 sets for a very cheap price, since it's only half of the series, with the rest unavailable in that format.

I noticed this around when it first came out, and after browsing cdjapan I think I've discovered why they only went that far.

The only dvds available in Japan are a 2 disc set called "first start" or something like that, and a 5 disc box that has eps 1-19. Both of these came out around late 2000-early 01 so whoever is putting these out lost interest a long time ago.

In short, we're sol unless a laserdisc set exists, or the rest of the show gets put out.

Edited by Brewtal

Thanks guys!!! B))

Going to check this out now wish me luck. . . ;)

If you've seen Zeta Gundam and Dunbine, then you can pass up on Ideon... all 3 shows are about the same (all were directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino), except Ideon is the least refined show in terms of animation and execution.

*SPOILERS*

The same? Um, no. Certainly all three shows are well known for cementing Tomino's 'Kill Em All' Reputation (although Ideon and Dunbine are much worse in that respect than Zeta Gundam, where a number of the heroes survive. In Dunbine the cast is completely slaughtered and in Ideon every living creature in the universe dies). But the plots are completely different. Ideon's much more of a super robot anime than the others and features aliens as the villains, something not at all in the other two. Dunbine's got the medieval setting and insect like mecha that sets it apart from the other two. There's certainly a few similarities (like the Earth Government being evil) that all 3 have, but to say you shouldn't bother with Ideon because you've seen Z Gundam or Dunbine is like saying you should skip Evangelion if you've seen Escaflowne.

Although I do agree that as the earliest of the 3(1980), Ideon is the least refined of the three in terms of animation and plot structure. I'd say Ideon has the best idea but lacks the proper execution through most of the series (although its handled perfectly in the movies IMHO).

Edited by Quiddity

OK, OK now you guys have me looking for anything Dunbine!!! :rolleyes:

Still reading at a site for Ideon and so far the story is a little confusing. . .

Guess I have to actually see the show first. . .

Or it could be the guy who's telling it (website owner), isn't that great a story teller. . .

That, and already seeing the ending have me a little bummed on it. . .

But thanks for the info. . .

Keep it comming. . .

Now to research Dunbine. . . B))

OK, OK now you guys have me looking for anything Dunbine!!! :rolleyes:

Still reading at a site for Ideon and so far the story is a little confusing. . .

Guess I have to actually see the show first. . .

Or it could be the guy who's telling it (website owner), isn't that great a story teller. . .

That, and already seeing the ending have me a little bummed on it. . .

But thanks for the info. . .

Keep it comming. . .

Now to research Dunbine. . . B))

I hope you're not talking about me! (Made the first Ideon website posted). If there's any confusion, ask away and I'll try to clear things up.

Hey Q,

Relax, It isn't your site I'm talking about bro'!!

There was another one mentioned here and it's got me bummed (not P.O.ed mind you). . .

Both are good, but. . .

Your site is cool straight forward and to the point. . . B))

A + B =C no confusion. . .

K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid

Something anime moguls sometimes forget to do. . . ;)

Edited by DARKWIND