Next on the Chopping Block

Knight26

the details include not just panel lines but control surfaces and some work on the weapons. Right now the only thing hanging off the wings taht still need details are the MDC and the long range missile launchers. Tommorrow I will start on the engine nacelles and hopefully finish them this weekend as next week I am on travel.

post-26-1096611086_thumb.jpg

Hmm, starfighter of choice in any game! :lol:

Hmm, starfighter of choice in any game! :lol:

But I would choose for a white colored one with dark blue or red stripes. :p

I don't know for a pure fighter I wouls still go for the 5000, the 2000 is really an interceptor, fast with good armor and shields but not the most manueverable.

That's why I'll kick the afterburner (if any) to go head on, guns blazing at close range in the first attack and kill the nme wing leader first. ;)

ANother shot, this one shows the wings folded and the locking bolts that slide into place to keep the fins from moving in flight. Also there won't be many updates this week as I will be on travel, I will still work on it when I can but won't be able to post until thursday if all goes as planned. Anyway C&C are welcome, will start on the fuselage next. Also, I am debating putting in mine layers or possibly twon rear firing missiles in the aft fuselage, any thoughts?

post-26-1096777562_thumb.jpg

If flying in atmosphere, mines would be useless due to planitary gravity, so missiles would be the more logical choice. But this is a fast interceptor, it makes lightning slicing attacks straight through nme formations, so any battle would be preferably short and intense. Rear missile banks or mine hatches would be kinda useless imho. Unless it is a less manouverable 'Broadsword' (still love that Wing Commander design :p ) class bomber, flying like slug on wings, trying to make it to the main objective.

But if you do want to add rear defensive/offensive weaponry, may I suggest slits somewhere in the fuselage -maybe by adding 'bumps' onto it- to carry micro-missiles with multiple warheads? Somewhat the same idea as passive chaff, but with 99% chance to hit nme missiles by actively seeking threats and damage/destroy nme fighters that are too close on the tail of this interceptor.

Just a quick brainstorm. ;)

I forgot: do the wings have enough lift when flying within atmosphere? Adding panels for vector-thrusting on the exhaust of the engines might help improve the manouverability without having to use the bottom manouvering thrusters extensively just to keep it in the air and create more lift? I'm not an expert in flying though, dunno if it works.

Edited by Wabbit

Oh doh, I knew there was something I was forgetting on these redesigns, shield projectors and countermeasure laucnhers. *smacks head against the wall.* As for the rear missiles or mine layers, well that was just an idea I was toying with, probably will not impliment, but I am looking into finding another spot on the fuselage to possibly attach another pair of LRMs.

The wings should generate sufficient lift, I didn't really shape them too greatly but they should have enough wing area, plus it also has anti-grav tech. The engines do thrust vector 3-D, I worked on the nozzle design alot when I first made them and IIRC they have about 25-30 degrees deflection in all directions. Believe me in ACAD that was pain to figure out.

Hope that clears things up, hopefully I will be able to finish modelling this week and apply a base texture like the 5000, then start on the "ugly sister" of the group.

Thanks for the explaination. If they have anti-grav for atmospheric flight, the manouvering jets and thrust vector nozzles should be sufficient. If you want to add more LRMs, isn't there enough space under the wings? Or maybe enlarge the wings (other variant, for better atmospheric flight) for more LRM payload and add rear AA missiles anyway.

Ok, sorry this is a little late and I did not make as much progress as I would have liked this week, will work on it more this weekend and next week since I will be on travel again. Mostly I worked on the after fuselage, reshaped the area around the central engine. I'm not happy with how that turned out, I may redo it again later. I also reshaped the intakes, they needed it.

post-26-1097300879_thumb.jpg

The underside, I added two LRM mounts to the ventral side, one on either side of the torpedo pack. I will eventually detail those mounts but want to finish the rest of the craft first. I will work on the mid and forward fuselage next. I'm not sure how but somehow the forward landing gear and doors got messed up, the hole in the fuselage where the well is somehow got closed, will fix that right away.

post-26-1097301071_thumb.jpg

Have you redone the aft part of the fuselage yet? With the texture on, that area doesn't stand out too much. The previous design was good enough, keeping it simple.

Looks good, the textures need to be simplified (larger panels), panellines should be added/made visible and ofcourse a paint scheme with markings and emblems.

Edited by Wabbit

The currently applied texture is only temporary, once I have more time I will create a more suitable texture, but that will take a while, I want to finish the modelling first. I have not redone that aft portion yet, i think the angle and texture help to wash out that facets that I don't care for. I'll try to finish the forward fuselage this weekend if I can.

Ok, the front end is pretty much completed with all the details and panel lines, I may still add a few more details but have to mull that over first. Next thing to do is add the cockpit then detail up the LRM mounts and start texturing. I'mn going to hold off on textureing though until I have the next model finished, there is a reason for this trust me. Mostly I need to start working out paint schemes and such. Anyway here she is.

post-26-1097385716_thumb.jpg

A quick comparison shot with the Splicer 5000, you can see that while the 2000 is larger, mostly in length and wing span, it is much slimmer. The 5000 is built like football linebacker, tough, bulky and strong, whereas the 2000 is a track star, sleek and fast. yes I see the texture issues, I am trying to resolve that, I know what is causing it but now how to fix it yet. ANyways, enjoy. Man I can't believe I am using sports analogies for my fighters, lol.

post-26-1097391101_thumb.jpg

Great work Knight26, great work! :)

• 1 month later...

Not sure if there is still interest but here is the latest update. I couldn't do a rotational texture on the engines like I did the guns last time, just too much going on on them and too much of a pain figuring out all the angles. So I went to the old method, there were some breakdowns but for the most part I think they came out well. One thing, the textures look a little blurred in some areas so I may fix that later. Man I looked at the file size since I made the modifications, dang, 195MB for the fully paneled/textured version, I need to figure out where that is coming from and try to decrease that. Anyway here are the pictures.

post-26-1100300121_thumb.jpg