And I thought he was killed by lead poisoning.

Knight26

cannon fire? i was under the impression he flew a little too low to the ground in a dogfight, and right past an austrailian infantry squad. he took a couple rifle rounds and crashed.

still an interesting article. and kind of exlpains why he might have flown too low.

you should watch the pbs shows once in awhile. they already talk about that a year or more ago. bit sad he was trying to shoot down a rookie that got scared and fired apon another rookie (outside of the main battle they both was told to observe the battle) that von was training.

It seriously wouldn't surprise me. Having read quite a bit about Rittmeister von Richthofen, I'd heard all about that before (the wound was pretty bad, leaving something like three-four inches of his skull exposed -- the bullet didn't just "crease" his skull, the bullet ricocheted off of his skull!). Even in his own autobiography (which started out as a series of memoirs written at the front -- it's still available in English translation) there's mention of the wounds suffered and the effect they seemed to have on his state of mind.

Edited by Pat Payne

cannon fire?  i was under the impression he flew a little too low to the ground in a dogfight, and right past an austrailian infantry squad.  he took a couple rifle rounds and crashed.

still an interesting article.  and kind of exlpains why he might have flown too low.

Aussie Anti-aircraft, not infantry. Both they and Roy Brown claim the kill. And it wasn't "a few dozen rounds" IIRC, they found a rather large single hole in his chest. As a testament to the gentleness of most WW1 aircraft designs, he didn't so much crash as glide and make a "deadman" landing before nosing over behind the Allied lines.

Edited by Pat Payne

cannon fire?  i was under the impression he flew a little too low to the ground in a dogfight, and right past an austrailian infantry squad.  he took a couple rifle rounds and crashed.

still an interesting article.  and kind of exlpains why he might have flown too low.

Aussie Anti-aircraft, not infantry. Both they and Roy Brown claim the kill. And it wasn't "a few dozen rounds" IIRC, they found a rather large single hole in his chest. As a testament to the gentleness of most WW1 aircraft designs, he didn't so much crash as glide and make a "deadman" landing before nosing over behind the Allied lines.

Of course his plain was completely dismantled for souveniers within a matter of minutes afterwards. I remember reading a biography about him years ago. Pretty cool guy, but his brother, Lothar, doesn't get nearly the credit he should.