I am thinking about joining the navy, any advice?

Sorry if this is to far off topic, but I didnt know where to put this thread. I figure this forum would be a good place to get advice, since we all share common interests, and Im sure this forum has some Navy personel. I know some of you will say talk to a recruiter, but I want honest advice :) I was in the army for six years, so I am no militay newby. But I have found that civilian life is quite boring, and I miss the comradery of the military lifestyle. I was seriously considering enlisting in the navy, I think they would be the only service left that would accept somebody my age. Now im seeking some advice from people that have been there and done that, or are currently there and doing that. So heres my questions.

1)Any good jobs. According to the commercials, all there jobs are good jobs. Of course reality is far from the commercials. Im not looking into being Rambo or top gun. but I know some jobs seem fun and glamorous, until your actually doing it. I was an apache mechanic for 3 years, it was the worst job ever. After wathching the commercials though, most people couln't wait to be an apache mech. There is always those kind of jobs that make people want to stay the full 20 years. Its usually those jobs that nobody thinks about, and they end up being really good. Im looking more for something that I will not being going out to sea for 6 months or so. Im looking for an MOS where I will usually stay locally on the base.

2) When I was in the army, most people got out early, and didnt plan on doing the full 20. But most of the Navy vets I have met in my civilian jobs have put in there 20 years. What is it about the Navy that makes people stay?

Just curious what you have to say. Any response is appreciated.