Battlestar Galactica box-set

treatment

saw this from another forum i hang out in.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listing.a...SMailer20030908

34640.jpg

looks very gnarly. gonna be released around 10/21/03.

and it's the classic Battlestar Galactica. Not the upcoming new mangled one from Sci-Fi channel where Starbuck is a friggin girl.

add: they say the red-light works, too!

Edited by treatment

now that's a box set.

as for the contents..its a show from the 70s with a tv sized budget. I don't think it should be judged too harshly :)

also if it looks as though the red eye does not light up but is of a lenticular variety (ie. shift the box slightly and it will 'move').

Edited by MrDisco

Sweet. Galactica was awesome....well before 1980 anyway. And thats really friggin sweet that the centurion's eye works.

Anyone else gonna give the BG PS2 game a try?

"See the evil robots from Battlestar Galactica fight the gay robots from Star Wars!"

-The Simpsons

Actually... that's the new Cylon and Garfunkel CD that came out last week...

Hello Imperius Leader, my old friend...

I’ve said "by your command" again...

Because the galacticans softly creeping,

Left the quadrant while I was sleeping,

And your foot... that was planted... in my brain...

And it still remains

Within the sound of Cylon...

iirc, i stopped watching Galactica the moment the kid became the supreme commander or something. that was the lamest move back then.

at least, Starbuck was extremely funny and the sexual innuendo was so rampant in the early episodes or something.

damn i feel old. rol!

Not old enough to remember the show correctly. You may be confusing some scenes from Galactica 1980 in with the original show.

iirc, i stopped watching Galactica the moment the kid became the supreme commander or something. that was the lamest move back then.

at least, Starbuck was extremely funny and the sexual innuendo was so rampant in the early episodes or something.

damn i feel old. rol!

Not old enough to remember the show correctly. You may be confusing some scenes from Galactica 1980 in with the original show.

never saw Galactica 1980.

^_^

edit:

ahhh, now i see. The boy-genius stuff was the Galactica-1980. Yup. I stopped watching Galactica then and there. Galactica without Starbuck (Dirk Benedict, i think) was just not the Galactica I used to watch.

edit2: dirk benedict! geezus. I can barely remember the real name of Face! hahaha!

--treatment--

Edited by treatment

Starbuck (Baxter Poindexter, i think)

For shame! Starbuck was played by none other than the Faceman himself, Dirk Benedict.

Now for your pennence, I condemn you to watch the second season of Buck Rogers, Hawkman and all.

Edit: You edit quickly, my son. But not quickly enough. :lol:

Edited by bsu legato

Starbuck (Baxter Poindexter, i think)

For shame! Starbuck was played by none other than the Faceman himself, Dirk Benedict.

Now for your pennence, I condemn you to watch the second season of Buck Rogers, Hawkman and all.

Edit: You edit quickly, my son. But not quickly enough. :lol:

yeah. rol!

for some odd reason, i was thinkin Starbuck's/Face's name was Baxter instead of Dirk B. hahaha!

I feel so old now. hahaha!

--treatment--

Battlestar Galactica was the greatest tv show ever! Well, at least it was to me as a five-year old.

I think it has stood the test of time relatively well. It's storylines were better then than a lot of tv is now. Yes, the sfx are quite dated, but i would still rather have a show done with models than with all CG (a la Babylon 5). Galactica 1980 was a steaming pile, though. In fact, to demonstrate just how well i had blocked it from memory - for the most of my life i had a vivid memory of a nightmare involving Cylons, a Halloween Party and Wolfman Jack. At least i thought it was a nightmare, until I caught that episode of G'80 on SciFi one afternoon while I was in college.

As for the SciFi Channel's new BG mini-series, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. There are a few plot details that have snuck out that i'm unhappy about. (Like the fact that the Cylons will be former servants of humans. Hasn't that been done enough already? Matrix & Terminator franchises, among others) The female starbuck character does not bother me (yet). We'll see in December.

I do wish that Richard Hatch (Apollo) was able to get his BG movie made. It would have been a direct sequel, 20 years after the original series ended. (Galactica '80 was to be forgotten.) He made a short, "proof of concept" film that was shown at a 'con a while back. Unfortunately, due to licensing issues, it isn't available on the web and won't see the light of day again any time soon. C'est la vie.

As for the SciFi Channel's new BG mini-series, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. There are a few plot details that have snuck out that i'm unhappy about. (Like the fact that the Cylons will be former servants of humans. Hasn't that been done enough already? Matrix & Terminator franchises, among others) The female starbuck character does not bother me (yet). We'll see in December.

I do wish that Richard Hatch (Apollo) was able to get his BG movie made. It would have been a direct sequel, 20 years after the original series ended. (Galactica '80 was to be forgotten.) He made a short, "proof of concept" film that was shown at a 'con a while back. Unfortunately, due to licensing issues, it isn't available on the web and won't see the light of day again any time soon. C'est la vie.

I'm still heavily bothered by the new Galactica having Starbuck as a woman.

Lt. Starbuck was one of my (and alot of others' I know of) early heroes when I was growing up. The way he hits on and conducts himself among the women was just _the_ irreplaceable mark of Galactica to me and to alot of other boys who grew up with it.

It was total sacriledge to have Starbuck dishonored by turning this classic sci-fi character into a woman. Why can't the writers of this new Galactica on Sci-Fi just friggin add an additional strong female-character into the story instead of desecrating the memory of Starbuck?

Just way beyond comprehension, i tell yah.

^_^

I agree with treatment. They already had Athena (Adama's daughter) and Sheba (the pilot from the Pegasus), who were relatively strong female characters. Just give one of them a more pronounced role.

Smells of changing things just for the sake of changing them to me.

Byyyy...yourrrr...command. :lol:

It also inspired to make Soundwave and Shockwave to say, "As you command, Megatron."

The "As you command!" ended up as the mottos of RID Skyfire and Armada Demolisher in their tech specs.

Galactica 1980 was a steaming pile, though. In fact, to demonstrate just how well i had blocked it from memory - for the most of my life i had a vivid memory of a nightmare involving Cylons, a Halloween Party and Wolfman Jack.

Ugh. Don't remind me. :blink: It's the lowest point the season sucked royal back then. The stuff Troy and Dillon did in that ep was also the lowest the duo had done for BG, such the musical number they did while avoiding the cops. And yeah, Cylons attempting to pass as Halloween cosplayers was a farce. I feel sorry for Lorne Greene (Adama) to star in this season, as you can see he had the worst time there.

The only thing that managed to get a highpoint was the series finale, where Dirk Benedict played Starbucks for the last time and what happened to him (and no, he didn't go set up a chain of coffee houses worldwide).

Not to mention that John Colicos (Baltar) played his role for the last time in Richard Hatch's "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming". I miss that guy when I heard he passed on (but he managed to play the Klingon Kor for the last time in a blaze of glory). :(

If the 2003 mini-series sucks, we hope that the higher-ups rethink their strategy.