what colors or techniques would you recommend

williwoods

I just got my fast pack kit for the 1/48's and am looking at the strike cannon, which just looks plain. I want to paint the barrels of the cannon but am not sure if there is a "canon" way? Also maybe wm cheng can answer this , but am thinking maybe using that alcad metallizer stuff possibly ,anyone have any advice?

Edited by williwoods

I think you can get all of your answers from master Tenjin's art (below). Other than that, I think you can get some excellent results using just oil washes and drybrushing. The way it's laid out makes it really easy to get good results using those techniques, and AFAIK, wm cheng used both of these when making his VF-1A max super valk.

PM me if you want a larger pic of this - I shrank this, but the original is in 1280x1024 (makes a VERY nice wallpaper).

post-24-1062809348_thumb.jpg

sorry if I am particular about the products, but I know the results. I would first prime it black [i use citadel spray primer]. I would then dry-brush it "citadel" gunbolt metal. I would then give it a wash/ink of whatever ink most corresponds to your desired final paint... going by the pic Batou posted I'd suggest "citadel colour" blue ink. I would then give it a layer of "citadel Fortress grey or sky blue" and possibly a black ink depending on how it looks at that point. Seal it and you are done. "citadel spray matte sealer... go figure". Is it obvious that I learned painting mini's :lol: