Macross Zero DVDs

Aegis!

Just a small question.- yeah I know it has been asked before but I assumed that by now there would be more variety and more people with the DVDs-.

Which Macross Zero DVDs (apart from the un-subbed original DVDs) are the best quality to your experience ? I recall there´re FX and MI versions of DYRL but I haven´t seen any details regarding swheter there´s more than one subtitled version of the first 2 OVAs (they all just say Macross Zero HK version or just that is subtitled).

I would want to know how good the subs are and the video quality as well (below or above fansubs quality?).

Thanks in advance ;)

Cheers

I have the MI version of episode 2. The subs are mediocre at best, but not quite bad enough to really annoy me. The video, however, has the problem which has been reported here and elsewhere, where the screen gets a bunch of lines across it when there's fast action. It's as if every other scan line is being discarded. Over at import-anime.com, someone claimed that this only happens on some DVD players. I asked if he was sure the same exact disc had been tried on different players, but he hasn't answered yet. I did try the disc on both my Raite 715 and the DVD drive on a Power Mac G4, and it had the same problem on both. Note that the Raite 715 is an obscure Taiwanese player that uses a PC-type drive--maybe the disc would work better on a mainstream player, but I doubt it.

I don't know who made my vol. 1, but I'm pretty sure it's not MI and it doesn't have any of the video problems. I described the appearance of both discs/packaging in great detail in a topic in the old forum.

Somebody out there has also made a disc which combines both episodes, but I haven't gotten any answers as to who made it and whether the video is any good.

Here are the relevant topics from the old forums:

Macross Zero ep.2 has just arrived on my doorstep!

macross zero part deux, HK DVD version bug?

Cheers mate :lol:

I wonder if by now there´re more versions of Macross Zero Ep.2 like the one of Ep.1 which doesn´t feature the messy horizontal lines distortion thingy.

does anyone have a copy of Ep.2 that isn´t the MI version though ?

I´m trully desperate for a domestic/international release :(

Over at import-anime.com, they list a different edition. Here's a link. The producer logo indicates it's by "AC-MAC", whoever that is.

The box cover is radically different. (Visit the link above to see it. You can click on the image to see it enlarged.)

There's no review unfortunately, just as I haven't been able to find any reviews of the two-episodes-on-one-disc edition.

As I wrote in another topic, I really can't understand why Bandai didn't release M0 in Japan as regionless with English subtitles. The whole idea of regionalization is to (a) prevent DVD's from showing up somewhere before a movie has been released theatrically there, and (b) allow producers to charge what the market will bear in different areas, without having to worry about being undercut by imports. Obviously (a) doesn't apply to an OAV (unless they hope eventually to release a Macross Zero movie theatrically in the US--hah!), and (b) is very unlikely to matter for a Japanese release. At ¥5000, nobody is going to save money importing the Japanese edition.

What Bandai/BigWest could have accomplished by releasing a regionless disc with English subtitles is essentially the same thing they and Yamato accomplished with their toy releases: strangling the bootleg market and letting hungry American fans do an end-run around Harmony Gold's embargo--while paying full Japanese retail prices into Bandai/BW's coffers.

OK , I´ve come to the same conclusions:

I´ve found the following versions so far

post-25-1062111352.jpg

This one is the AC-MAC version which hasn´t recieved any review in any page , interestingly enough the producer AC (as in anime cartoon) seems to be the same as MI so I´m a bit confused.

------------------------------------

the other version of Ep.2 is this one

MacrossZero02.jpg

This version is the well know MI version which features the distortion problem <_<

the MI version of Ep.1 looks to be good so I may buy it but I´m reluctant to decide which version of Ep.2 to buy , oh BTW , I can´t find any shop that sells the AC-MAC version yet (import-anime has it listed on their reviews but it´s not on the shop section )

Well, there is also at least one version that includes 1 & 2 on the same disk. Readily available on eBay, e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=41524

Who makes it? I don't know. I asked a couple sellers and got no response. How's the video quality? Again, no info is forthcoming. (They should be able to fit both episodes on a DVD without any degradation of quality.)

Just so we have a permanent record of the combined episode version, here's the cover:

post-2-1062173159.jpg

I was gonna make up a new topic, but since this one is here already talking about the Macross Zero DVDs, I'll ask here. I basically had the same question as the topic starter, but also was wondering how many episodes the OVA is. I think I'm just gonna wait for them to finish the series and get the whole thing in one shot. I just want to know a rough estimate as to when that may happen, if anyone knows.

I was gonna make up a new topic, but since this one is here already talking about the Macross Zero DVDs, I'll ask here. I basically had the same question as the topic starter, but also was wondering how many episodes the OVA is. I think I'm just gonna wait for them to finish the series and get the whole thing in one shot. I just want to know a rough estimate as to when that may happen, if anyone knows.

MAcross Zero is a 5 Episode OVa series , so far only the first 2 episodes have been released and we´re waiting for Ep.3 to be out around the end of the year (I think I heard October).

You´ll be waiting a good year for the series to end , add to that a few more months for the whole thing to be sold as a pack.You speculation though :lol:

Hmm, sounds good, I'm in no rush to go out and get Macross Zero just yet. I'm currently waiting for my copies of Macross Plus DVDs to come in and still mulling over Macross 7 (to watch or not to watch).

Watch it

BOMBA!