Advice on the use of primer

Vifam7

I would greatly appreciate if someone could advise me.

I'm currently working on cheap $6 Gundam models as a practice before moving onto Hasegawa or Imai kit VF-1s. I am an absolute newbie when it comes to making plastic models.

So, I sprayed on primer but some parts weren't sprayed evenly and some parts got splattered with gunk because I didn't think to test my spray can before application. Doh!

Anyway, after it all dried, I sanded down my parts getting it all the badly sprayed parts back down smooth. But I sanded many of the parts back down to the original plastic. Did I overdo the sanding on those pieces? Now what? Do I prime those pieces again? Or can I start applying paint?

Thanks in advance.

I believe the problem you faced is what most beginners face with painting out of a spraycan. It just takes a lot of practice. With primers in particular, it is important to use short bursts starting from outside of the model and then quickly moving your hand so that the spraying action goes across the model and ends outside of the model again. (You can do this left to right or top to bottom, whichever you prefer, but that is the key).

It's hard to explain this in words so I suggest you watch a few tutorials available on the web. Try YouTube and type in "Gundam" and one of the clips you would find are Japanese TV series that focuses on making plastic models.

first off, get an airbrush as soon as the $$ flow allows, much better results than out of the can....and here are a few more suggestions

1. Mr Surfacer, some of the best primer I have ever used!! The stuff seems to almost automotive grade, it also comes in a can to, get the "1000" brand. Depending on where you live this might be kinda hard.

2. When sraying out of a can, as stated above keep the burst's short, and use sweeping motions, not gangster tagging motion....

3. Start spraying before the model, and stop spraying after the model, that way there is no build up in on spot.

4. As you have already discovered, press the spray nozzel down a time or two before applying to your model.

5. this one takes practice, do not be too close or too far from the model, if you are too close you will put the paint on too thick, too far, and the paint droplets dry before they hit the model and you are left w/ a "dusty" looking model.

6. finally, practice, practice, practice....and good luck!

Ashton

Basically whats already been said. I also find that Primers don't need to be heavily coated on th your parts. All it is really doing is giving the paint something to adhere to thats not the really smooth plastic. Typically with MR Surfacer you'll want to still be able to see the colour of the plastic shine through, so a red bit would appear slightly pink. Other than that practice etc.

May be consider getting some old plastic toys to learn on. A car boot sale, jumble, or garage sale is a good place to find cheap expendable stuff.