Bandai SD released by Matchbox?

RTShark

Anyone have any info on these. My friend found two of them. Hikaru and Max.

They appear to be the same as (or similar to) these:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/_bandai_hcmaxj.htm

But have Robotech boxes and were released in the US by Matchbox, presumably in the 80s when Robotech was on the air.

I have not laid eyes on them myself yet, but my friend tells me they match the picture in the link.

Anyone have any more detail on these?

Ido...

They're definitely not the Toynami models... but thanks anyways.

Valkfactory... Yeah that seems more likely. Thanks for the links. I just wanted to confirm that that's what they likely were. Like I said I hadn't actually seen them myself yet.

Are the Matchbox versions at all valuable/collectible? (I know that's the next question I'm going to get, might as well post it now).

amazing how the things you already know as fact and history comes up new for some people.

Anyway the Robotech version of the Joke Machine (not Bandai SD get the name right) are teh most common and easily found. There are actually 5 made by Bandai. The two missing from the Robotech set are from DYRL which is Hikaru and Max VF-1A.

I have two of those Robotech joke machines: the "Max Sterling" VF1J and the "Rick Hunter" VF1S. They're my all-time favorite toys. As a little kid in the early 80s, I bought them with my allowance money. They're beaten up to all hell, but they've held up surprisingly well over 20 years. In fact, even though I collect a lot of Macross, Gundam, Stikfas, and TF toys now, those are the only toys a really "play" with anymore. They sit on my desk and get transformed over and over while I talk on the phone or do my grad school readings. If Bandai reissued them today it would make me happier than when I unboxed my 1/48 Yamato.

Neil