Kurt! Please Help with custom.

DescipleMKII

Hello, Im new to this board...I hope im not flaming by typing this topic. However I have just ordered a new VF-1S Hikaru and I plan on customizing it in the enigma style. I was just wondering if you could give me some pointers on starting this project. I have a few questions that i cant seem to figure out.

1) when stripping the paint off of the 1/48, what product do you use? and do you disassemble the valkyrie before stripping the paint or do you leave it in one piece?

2) When the paint is stripped do you sand all the pieces before applying primer? and what type of primer do you use?

3) The most important question i have though is when after you have preshaded the valkyrie do you "fill in" the areas between the preshades? or do you layer the paint in one coat going over the preshade?

Anyway Im excited to finally have a name on these boards, i havent registered but have been frequenting this board for some time. So Hello to everyone and hopefully ill have a cool custom to share with all of you soon. :ph34r:

1) when stripping the paint off of the 1/48, what product do you use? and do you disassemble the valkyrie before stripping the paint or do you leave it in one piece?

2) When the paint is stripped do you sand all the pieces before applying primer? and what type of primer do you use?

3) The most important question i have though is when after you have preshaded the valkyrie do you "fill in" the areas between the preshades? or do you layer the paint in one coat going over the preshade?

Welcome to the boards. And I would be happy to answer your questions.

1. I personally use denatured alcohol. I know this has been a topic of discussion in the past and it seems there are different products being used. I have tried a product by Polly S that is specifically for paint stripping. I would stay away from it since it tends to make the plastic very brittle. I just soak the parts in alcohol for a 5-10 minutes and give it a scrub with very fine steel wool. Completely disassemble the valk and of course only treat the parts with paint on them. I just scrub enough to get most of the paint off. I don't worry about seam lines or hard reach areas.

2. I usually don't sand before I prime. I say usually because there may be a rough area or two that I want to smooth out. I do give every part a rub down in rubbing alcohol to remove any greasy finger prints or mold agents. For primer I like to use Mr Surfacer 1000 from Gunze Sangyo. There are cheaper alternatives, but this has never failed me. Thin it and airbrush it on.

3. I tend to do a bit of both. After the pre-shading and when I am applying the main color I will "fill in" the area first and lightly spray the entire part to blend everyhting in and get the right look. Although doing this sometimes covers up the pre-shading too much and then I will do a bit of post shading to bring it back.

I hope that answers your questions, let me know if there is anything else you would like advice on.