Haven't we heard this all before?

Is it possible for the unemployed animators to band together and create their own studio?

Yes. But eventually, they would have to outsource overseas to stay competitive in the market, thereby making layoffs of their animator pool. And then the cycle starts over again.

Is it possible for the unemployed animators to band together and create their own studio?

Yes. But eventually, they would have to outsource overseas to stay competitive in the market, thereby making layoffs of their animator pool. And then the cycle starts over again.

Here's what I don't get: all these major studios, including Disney, have closed their cel animation studios. Everyone's going CG. If the unemployed animators get together and create their own studio (a la Gainax and Dreamworks), they have a void in the market that they can fill. Where is the competition when everyone's CG and you are the only cel animation studio in town?

Here's what I don't get: all these major studios, including Disney, have closed their cel animation studios. Everyone's going CG. If the unemployed animators get together and create their own studio (a la Gainax and Dreamworks), they have a void in the market that they can fill. Where is the competition when everyone's CG and you are the only cel animation studio in town?

Here's the piece you're missing. Those animators need money for food and a place to live. Having a studio does not automatically mean jobs come pouring in, you need money to start. Right now, no one with capitol is willing to invest in an american animation studio.

Major studios still blame you, the fans, for not liking their crappy movies, instead of the fact that they've been releasing nothing but crap. Meanwhile, the majority of the public, wich has gotten fed up with the glut of crap coming from Disney, Dreamworks, and Fox, have come to believe that american studios are incapable of making quality animation. Hence the lack of funding for such an endeavour.

Even most anime fans scoff at the idea of an american studio producing anything worthwhile.

I do imagine, in time, it may be possible for a studio or two to form, and create material catering to the anime fandom. I bet it will happen eventually. I doubt very many could survive on that small market, though. Plus, if suits become involved, it all goes down the tubes. "No, no, make it more like DBZ, that's popular, right?" "You're still doing 2D? No, no, you have to switch to 3D, that's what's 'in' these days."