Figure 17

figure17.gif7up.gif

Figure 17 - Tsubasa and Hikaru ( フィギュア17 つばさ&ヒカル )

OLM/GENCO/AT-X/Bandai Visual, 2001-2002

AnimeWorks, 2003-2004, 2005

Directed by Naohito Takahashi (Steel Angel Kurumi, Berserk)

Running Time: 46 minutes per episode

Rated 7-Up (Should be 13-Up) for graphic violence and mature situations.

Tsubasa Shiina is a 10-year-old girl who recently moved to Hokkaido to live with her father. In school, she is very quiet and unsociable with her classmates. Then one night, she witnesses a UFO crash in the forest near her home. She rushes to the scene and finds the pilot, codenamed "D.D.", in a barely stable condition. Also in the scene is a Maguar, a hideous alien that hatched aboard D.D.'s ship. As the Maguar is close to taking Tsubasa's life, an alien lifeform fuses with her body to form the mysterious battle armor Figure 17, which shortly destroys the alien threat. The life form takes the name Hikaru and turns into an identical twin of Tsubasa. As time passes, Tsubasa becomes more open to everyone around her, thanks to her new twin sister Hikaru. However, with Maguar eggs scattered all over Hokkaido, their ability to form Figure 17 is needed to keep the alien threat in check until D.D.'s comrades from his home planet arrive.

Story: A

At first glance, I didn't know what to expect from Figure 17. The first half of episode 1 focuses on Tsubasa and her inexperience with living in a rural environment. Then it suddenly changes when the alien subplot is introduced. Tsubasa and Hikaru become a human-sized Ultraman to fend off the evil aliens, then they help each other cope with everyday life. Still, I find Figure 17 very enjoyable with its remarkable storytelling and likable characters. Of course, each episode runs at roughly 46 minutes, but that means better story and character development. Check it out when you have a chance.

Animation: A+

When it comes to quality animation, you won't expect less from GENCO (Azumanga Daioh, Please Teacher!) and Oriental Light and Magic (Steel Angel Kurumi, Comic Party). Figure 17 is filled with rich, lively colors blended with outstanding character designs by Yuriko Chiba (Steel Angel Kurumi, Buttobi CPU/I Dream of Mimi) and some of the best digital effects ever seen.

Soundtrack: A

A wonderful musical score by Toshihiko Takamizawa and theme songs by The Alfee make the Figure 17 soundrack an add-on to your playlist.

Cast

Figure 17 features Akiko Yajima (Dorothy in The Big O, Relena in Gundam Wing) as Tsubasa, Fumiko Orikasa (Chise in SaiKano, Pacifica in Scrapped Princess) as Hikaru, Yuko Kato as Kenta, Rikiya Koyama (Jubei in Ninja Scroll: The TV Series) as D.D., Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess, Mizuho in Please Teacher!/Please Twins) as Orudina, Ryoka Yuzuki (Armitage: Dual-Matrix, Ino in Naruto) as Asuka, Kyoko Tsuruno (Chisa in Fancy Lala) as Sho, Masamichi Sato as Hideo, Jun Mizuki (Naota in FLCL) as Tomoyo, Rie Kugimiya (Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist, Cyberdoll Rena in Hand Maid May) as Mina, Yukimasa Obi (Zero in Candidate for Goddess) as Atsushi, and Yui Horie (Re: Cutie Honey, Naru in Love Hina) as Sakura.

The English dub by Bang Zoom! Entertainment isn't perfect like the Japanese dialogue, but is tolerable. Featured voices include Kay Jensen (Witch Hunter Robin, Haruko in FLCL) as Tsubasa, Willow Armstrong (Minawa in Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful) as Hikaru, Lex Lang (Space Pirate Captain Herlock The Endless Odyssey, Gineas in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team) as D.D., Mia Bradley as Oldina, Jeff Garcia as Kenta, Julie Anne Taylor (Meia in Vandread, Moe in Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety) as Asuka, Kirk Thornton (Gato in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083, Bart in Vandread) as Hideo, Dave Wittenberg (Kei in Please Teacher!, Kaoru in Ai Yori Aoshi) as Shinji, and Julie Maddalena (Dita in Vandread, Hikaru in Magic Knight Rayearth) as Sakura.

DVD Extras: A-

While the first disc just has a textless opening sequence, discs 2-6 feature a behind-the-scenes look at the series, featuring interviews with the staff and cast of Figure 17.

The Bottom Line

For an anime that not too many people talk about, Figure 17 is an excellent title with its down-to-earth storyline and outstanding animation. Worth adding to your collection.

Links

Official Figure 17 Homepage (Japanese)

ImaginAsian TV's Official Figure 17 Homepage

Figure 17 - The Fansite

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

• 2 months later...

ost.jpg

Figure 17 Tsubasa & Hikaru: Original Soundtrack

( フィギュア17 つばさ&ヒカル: オリジナルササウンドトラック )

Lantis, 2001

U.S. Distributor Pending

Composed and Produced by Toshihiko Takamizawa

Track Listing

1. Innocent Fields! (Female Chorus Ver. 1)

2. Ranch [牧場]

3. Refreshing Morning [さわやかな朝]

4. Fairy Dance (Instrumental)

5. Innocent Fields!

6. Easy Time [やさしい時間]

7. The Smiling Face Which Overflows [あふれる笑顔]

8. [謎めいて…]

9. Children of a Certain Day [ある日の子供達]

10. [悲しみの夜]

11. Love [愛情]

12. Eyecatch C [アイキャッチC]

13. Fluctuation [ゆらぎのなか]

14. Nostalgic [ノスタルジック]

15. Eyecatch D [アイキャッチD]

16. Insecure Feeling [不安な気持ち]

17. Battle of Fire (Female Chorus Version)

18. [張りつめる景色]

19. [時は満ちゆく]

20. Suspicious Look [異形]

21. Ribers #1 [リベルス#1]

22. Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude [主よ、人の望みの喜びよ]

23. Ribers #2 [リベルス#2]

24. Intense Fighting [激闘]

25. [ゆずれない想いの為に]

26. [迫りくる影]

27. It Was Good! [よかった!]

28. [斗いの予感]

29. Fusion

30. Suite ~Progressive Edit~ [組曲~progressive edit~]

31. Innocent Fields! (Female Chorus Ver. 2)

32. [豊穣なる大地で]

33. Fairy Dance (Orgel Version)

34. Episode Preview [予告]

35. Battle of Fire (Chorusless Version)

36. [やすらかに]

37. The Insecurity Which Does Not Go Out [消えぬ不安]

38. Eyecatch A [アイキャッチA]

39. Eyecatch B [アイキャッチB]

40. Subtitle [サブタイトル]

41. Innocent Fields! (a Capella Version)

42. Fairy Dance (Orchestra Version)

Track 22 composed by Johann Sebastian Bach

Lowdown

I got this soundtrack CD in my mail from CDJapan early this week. It's currently in my car stereo and I've found it very pleasing to play during everyday traffic.

The first half of the CD consists of calm, tranquil BGM. "Innocent Fields! (Female Chorus Ver. 1)" takes fans to the peaceful farmlands of Hokkaido as seen in the first episode (if not the main menu of each DVD volume). The rest of the CD covers the upbeat rock BGM used for the fight scenes. The best one of all of them is "Battle of Fire (Female Chorus Version)", which is used whenever Figure 17 takes on a Maguar near the end of each episode. However, the best out of all the tracks is "Suite ~Progressive Edit~", which is a headbanging medley of "Boy (instrumental)" and "Battle of Fire". Many fans of the series can't help but sing along to the battle theme chorus.

My only disappointment is that the opening theme "Boy" and ending theme "Fairy Dance" are not included in this CD. For that, you'll have to pick up The Alfee's 2001 release Glint Beat.

Overall, Takamizawa did an excellent job composing the music for Figure 17. It's not Yoko Kanno material, but for an anime like this, the soundtrack completely captures the feel of the story. If you have the series on DVD, you should pick up this CD as well.

Rating: A

Links

Official Figure 17 Homepage (Japanese)

Neowing's Figure 17 Soundtrack Page (Download sample tracks here)

CDJapan's Figure 17 Soundtrack Page

Special thanks to CD Japan

Edited by areaseven

• 1 year later...

I just got into Figure 17. I think the reason I like it so much is the style. The story is kinda typical and it doesn't stand out among shows IMO. But the character designs, the smoothness and complexity of the animation and the soundtrack just make it fantastic. Especially Figure 17 herself, she isn't human and just every scene that she's in she just has the presence of a strong, elegant, graceful, beautiful, pure being. All of the show's art is amazingly expressive, particularly the art of Tsubasa and Hikaru, it's amazing how the slight subtleties(sp) in their facial expressions can so easily and completely display their emotions. This is best shown in the DVD cover art:

B00012QLIC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The expression on Hikaru's face is just beautiful.

EDIT: for those who don't know, Hikaru is the girl on the left of the image.

Edited by NERV

Hm, the more I study the character designs they look rather bland. I am sure the series is interesting and can captivate audiences, but I for one am getting sick of the overused cookie cutter character designs. Too many series lack good character designs that were showcased in the 80s and 90s animes. Pity, all for the sake of efficiency I suppose. <_< In any event, I will check out this anime since you recommend it so much.

No, I was referring to how the character designs for this series looks bland in the sense they look like other series designs as well, i.e. Ah! Megami-sama and VPMiyu tv, just to name a few. Gone are the days of stylistic character designs, where the attention to details and unique designs were IMO so distinct you could id the series and designer(s). Maybe I am one of the few but I've noticed a strong decline in the quality of character designs for tv and ova series. More and more series are simply using extremely similiar designs and they aren't even designed by same designers! I wouldn't be surprised if the widespread switch to digimation contributed to this situation. But enough of this tangent, I still will check out the series.

Dude, don't judge an anime for its character designs. Not all great anime titles have artwork, etc. that's considered perfect. Take Berserk, for example, as it's by the same team that did Figure 17. The story is awesome, but the character designs are so-so and the animation is choppy, not to mention that the opening theme is probably the worst ever recorded. Nevertheless, it's still a masterpiece.

In the case of Figure 17, the production team wasn't aiming for over-the-top character designs or flashy animation. They wanted to make the anime as realistic and down-to-Earth as possible. Sure, the character designs aren't the greatest, but that shouldn't stop you from checking this title out. I wanted to skip Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo because the artwork was too funky for my tastes, but the whole anime just grew on me.

Just rent Figure 17 and see for yourself. You can also buy the boxed set as well, as it's a steal for $40-50 at most stores.

maximus, you do know that they look the same because theyre twins right? all the other characters on the show look different

355747[/snapback]

I think Maximus is referring to the prevailing use of these types of character designs overall. At least, I hope he is!

:p

While I can understand his concerns about the character designs, I truly believe that any design, regardless of visual appeal, is only truly tested by the animation itself. Some great designs look crappy with shoddy animation, yet some terrible designs truly shine with great animation.

Overall, this show sounds interesting. I'll definitely give it a try, as I find A7's reviews to be mostly in line with my tastes an perceptions.

Dude, don't judge an anime for its character designs. Not all great anime titles have artwork, etc. that's considered perfect. Take Berserk, for example, as it's by the same team that did Figure 17. The story is awesome, but the character designs are so-so and the animation is choppy, not to mention that the opening theme is probably the worst ever recorded. Nevertheless, it's still a masterpiece.

In the case of Figure 17, the production team wasn't aiming for over-the-top character designs or flashy animation. They wanted to make the anime as realistic and down-to-Earth as possible. Sure, the character designs aren't the greatest, but that shouldn't stop you from checking this title out. I wanted to skip Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo because the artwork was too funky for my tastes, but the whole anime just grew on me.

Just rent Figure 17 and see for yourself. You can also buy the boxed set as well, as it's a steal for $40-50 at most stores.

355757[/snapback]

A7, I am not judging animes -solely- based on their character designs, but they do impact my initial interest and motivation to rush out and rent any given title. Anime is a visual medium and as subjective as this is, subpar character designs completely detract from the visual enjoyment. Show the average fan just the cover of volume 3 of this series and I doubt they'd run out and watch it. Character designs do matter and as the white drew carey pointed out, yes I am extremely concerned about the "...prevailing use of these types of character designs overall". However, I am fully aware many series have mediocre designs but still weave excellent plots with captivating characters.

Oh and as for Berserk, I happened to enjoy the anime b/c it left me wanting more, enough so that I supporte the untranslated mangas. Also I did like the character designs in the anime largely b/c they were consistent with the manga designs. Does this make me anal purist no? But, I do appreciate it when the production team makes a solid effort to capture and preserve the designs the original creator(s) made. I do not expect tv or ova series to have full animation, but, I have yet to see one that does b/c generally the budgets are too low.

Now enough of this production discussion, A7 given you enjoyed this series and the plot, what other similiar series would you recommend? Thanks. ;)