Paul Champagne Artbox

I know there are manyout there that have never seen a Paul Champagne box up close, so I decided to take a few pics of my new Kenshin artbox as an example.

Maybe this will help those who aren't sure about the Macross box to consider it a little further.

The boxes can be a little expensive, but they actually are good quality. I have 20 discs of Rurouni Kenshin, all in thinpaks, with the 5 ADV discs, and the TV series up through Firefly's Wish (my stopping point). So I asked paul to make a 10-disc capacity box for me using some of the images from his season 1/season 2 engraved set, which had the spine set up to form one complete image when the 2 boxes are put side by side.

How much the larger boxes above 8 discs varies, and new designs may vary in price depending on how much paul has to do to design the box with your images. Black and white engraved cases are cheaper of course than the full color cases. He was giving us a good break on the Macross boxes becuase of the expected quantity.

It's quite sturdy, and looks good on the shelf. The flash of the camera make a couple of spots look darker than they actually are for some reason (close flash on silver effect I guess). I like my box quite a lot, and am thinking about one or two more from him eventually. Maybe a Crest/Banner of the stars box or something. It'll be for a while before I can budget that in though.

Left:

Edited by Anubis

Right

post-26-1083538978_thumb.jpg

Rear

post-26-1083539001_thumb.jpg

His original Season 1/Season 2 engraved boxes

post-26-1083539035_thumb.jpg

Eh... I'm sorry, but I don't think these designer boxes are that great.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Here's a page with a lot more of his boxes.

link

his boxes can be hit or miss..it all depends on the source artwork. the quality of the box is without comparison. as an example i don't think the monochrome boxes (black, gold, silver) really show off how nice his boxes can look. conversely some of his colour works can be subpar (i.e. the official Eva PC vs the standard one. i think the all black standard box has more impact).

his boxes can be hit or miss..it all depends on the source artwork. the quality of the box is without comparison. as an example i don't think the monochrome boxes (black, gold, silver) really show off how nice his boxes can look. conversely some of his colour works can be subpar (i.e. the official Eva PC vs the standard one. i think the all black standard box has more impact).

Yeah, the Eva box could have been better, but it wasn't really his fault. Gainax supplied the artwork themselves for the liscensed Right Stuf box, so he was kind of stuck. So he did the best he could there, I think. I like the Black regular box better myself. The red highlights really work. If the "Platinum" version doesn't get it's own box from ADV,I may try to get a new custom one from him. We'll see how that goes.

You can tell on some of the boxes why he needs high res scans. A couple of boxes have a blurred image or two, or don't look quite right. That would probably be due to the images sent in to work with, something pulled off the web.

Edited by Anubis

Hey Anubis, did those DVD inserts fit in the thinpacks without cutting them?

You have to trim the DVD covers some to get them in the thinpaks. I bought a cheap trimmer at Staples for 10 or 15 bucks and it works great.