Adios F/A-22?

Would you rather I just copy+paste quotes from reviews and comments? It'd be easier. I don't think I have any of them saved, but I could find them easy enough I think. Or you could just google the "rec.models.scale" newsgroup and see what you get.

I learn much of my aircraft subtle differences from model kit reviews. I swear 90% of my F-15E knowledge comes from people pointing out all the flaws in the Hase kit. :) Similar situation for late-model F-16's.

Combined with the fact I've never seen one in real life, I'm not really the person to ask. Perhaps Nied? :)

(There's just something about seeing something in real life that you can't get from photos)

I'm not doubting what you said David, it's just, interesting that the model could be nearly 100% wrong. I'm going to do what you suggested and have a look around on various modeling websites. I knew from the beginning that the cockpit was at least 99.9% inaccurate...

• 3 months later...
That phrase is sorely overused and misrepresented.

Practically EVERY weapon we now field was developed during the cold war. The B-52, B-2, F-15, F-16, A-10, F-14, F-18, F-117, E-3, E-8, E-2C, LA and Seawolf class subs, M-1, M-2/3, MLRS, AH-1 and AH-64, Patriot, ICBMs, etc., etc., etc. ALL seem to have usage AFTER the cold war, now don't they? Just because something was designed between 1946 and 1991 doesn't mean it isn't useful or needed.

The F/A-22 and F-35 were conceived and designed to continue to give the US the qualitive edge against any opponent, not just the USSR/Russia. The SU-27/35 family and the MiG-29 compare VERY favorably to our current generation of fighters. And they are for sale to anyone with money. Is that Ok with anyone out there?

The new European fighters could find their way into foreign markets. Again, these compare very well to our current fighter mix.

In case you haven't noticed, the rest of the world has caught up with us in basic acft design and avionics. Having parity is not good enough.

So, do we need the F/A-22 and F-35: A resounding YES!!!!!

sw614 - Member of Military.Com

Yes, but other countries like China and Russia also have, or can reasonably have the Su-30... And warping a little your sentence I can honestly say that "...the fact that such an exercise was conducted strongly suggests that the Su-30 is regarded as possible -and underestimated- foe".

just my 2c

Regds,

G.

well said. Also China can have the Su-30, I was reading Janes all teh worlds aircraft 2001-02 edition in the campus library and in fact I believe I read that china was recieving upgrade kits for their flankers to update to SU-30 standard.

Russia might get their hands on Su-30s but india is not the only customer. Sukhoi has been making rounds around asia and I believe malaysia is a high contender for it. Many other nations as well. China can have it but shoot even if they dont they have more than enough airplanes to make up for it. Hell they might just go to SU-35 standard.

Russia, China and India already operate the Su-30MK series. China has the Su-30MKK version which has square tip fins like the Su-35.

Malaysia already ordered the Su-30MKM version, 18 of them scheduled for delivery earliest at 2005.

And if i am not mistaken the 2 seater Flankers bought by Indonesia are also Su-30s.