What Paints to use on my Yamato 1/48

VF-18S Hornet

With all the the custom jobs you guys have done on the 1/48 VF-1, I was wandering what brand of paint and what color to use on my Hikaru VF-1A and VF-1S note for example the black paint on the leg peg on my VF-1A is wearing away and the eye peice has tiny scratch on it and the red and black on the leg fin in the 1S was scratched off my fault because was busy watching T.V. while applying the stickers.

I got Testors paints from preivous models I built in the past but I don't know how it would affect my two 1/48's. all I need is some painting tips from the pro's on what brand of paint to buy and the specific type of red and black amd possibly paint sealants to use. I would be appreciative for the information

Arigato ;)

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

You need to ensure you have the correct finish and colors. The finish makes a difference since it will affect the look of the color under certain lighting conditions.

For painting, any good ENAMEL should do, or if you wish to use water based acrylics, paint and spray a finish coat to protect it since they don't hold up that well with a lot of contact.

Tamiya, Mr. Color, Testors Model Master line and others should be ok. Just mask the area you want to paint. If its chipped, you should still mask off the whole area and repaint a THIN layer to get a smooth consistent finish.

Spray if possible. Spray can or cheapo spray system with practice is easier than a really good hand paint job.

Apply a matte finish or get flat paint. The factory paint looks flat to me anyways. Or spray the whole Valkyrie matte after you're done if using semi-gloss or gloss enamels to even out the finish.

Oh yeh, practice painting something first to test your consistency and good luck.

Edited by Neova